1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

XT 785 Front Derailleur Compatibility

Just curious as to whether or not this derailleur is 3 ring compatible and how to make sure it will work with the shift system I have on my bike. Cable comes up from the bottom of my bike. Its a Cannondale Trail SL4 and I am looking around to prepare for when things break

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There is two different derailleurs for double or triple applications. So if you want to change you need a new derailleur. If you have XT shifters there is a little switch for 2x or 3x underneath. So those will not need to be changed.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The 785 is 2-speed low-clamp.

For three-speed you want either a 781 (high clamp) or 780 (low clamp).
    Find Front Derailleurs: The Best Mountain Bike Derailleurs/ Shifters From Performance Bike

I converted from 3x to 2x and really like it. I ended up eventually replacing everything but the crank. But if you want to go 2x I would get started with just a 2x FD and remove the big ring. A 3x shifter (even the SLX that does not have the 2x/3x switch) will work just fine with 2x.