1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

XC noob bar questions

I recently got a new bike and it has flat bars. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to running flat bars? I have not had the time as of yet to hit it hard to get a good feel of the bike as a whole. Just curious

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Riser have sweep of 7-12 degrees as well as 15+mm rise which can be rotated back if necessary to adjust your cockpit fit. You play with width and stem length and angle also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So the only difference is less adjustment with flat bars? I'm 5'6 so I don't need so much room to adjust lol

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Ricky View Post
    I recently got a new bike and it has flat bars. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to running flat bars? I have not had the time as of yet to hit it hard to get a good feel of the bike as a whole. Just curious
    They're different, no inherent advantages or disadvantages. They provide a different bike feel, a different leverage over the bike, and a different set of fit options. For any individual, it's just another option for putting a bike together.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What I have learned in the past year or so mtbs and bmx as well is most things are personal prefrence and I felt this was one of those things. The bike does have a nice stiff front end. I will find out in the am how it feels after 8-10 miles I'm harbison forest. Thanks for the insight

local trails rider
    Yep: personal preference.
    The dimensions of the rider also come into play. Some need/want risers because they need/want to get their hands higher. I need a low bar, so that I can get my hands low enough.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I went out this morning for my first trip to the trails since the fall and first time on my newest bike. It was little to muddy and I pushed a lil too hard. Bike felt great. The flat bars felt good. All in all it was an awesome ride. Gonna take some adjusting to high speed turns on a 29er

mtbr member
    thats personal the flat bar is supposed to be better on climbs I use a 600mm flat bar with 6" of back sweep on my all rounder bike maybe i will change it with a riser for more confort but I have been happy with it

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I did notice a significant difference in the climbs..but it was also my first good ride on a 29er so it's probably a combination of things. Thanks for the info