1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Wth!!??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wth!!??

Replaced my rear tire and after putting the wheel back on, the rear derailleur isn't shifting as smoothly as before. Could it be that the wheel is not in the same position in the frame? My bike is serviced by my LBS and it was just in for adjustments and new cables.

I meant to do that
    Make sure it is seated properly in the dropout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    As far as the wheel not being seated in the drop outs correctly, would the problem be that the LBS serviced it in a bike stand and I just flipped the bike over when I swapped tires?

There's no app for this.

yes

seat the axle/wheel when the bike is on the ground with some weight on the bike. Jim

I meant to do that
    Quote Originally Posted by punk77
    As far as the wheel not being seated in the drop outs correctly, would the problem be that the LBS serviced it in a bike stand and I just flipped the bike over when I swapped tires?
    If it isn't shifting properly, the first and simplest thing to check is that the rear wheel is firmly seated in the dropouts. This happens all the time when working on a bike in a stand, as it's hard to completely bring the wheel axle and dropouts firmly together. Out of the stand, try loosening the quick release, putting some weight on the saddle and then tightening the QR back again. After checking that, I would make minor adjustments to the rear derailleur (shifter cable) by turning the adjustment nut at the shifter or at the RD itself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll try that when I get home tonight. Thnx.