1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 05kas05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    267

    wtb velociraptor 2.1

    i was looking to change the tires on my bike and was considering the velociraptors to replace the nevegals i have now.are the wtb velociraptor a good tire,i know they have been around for awhile.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EstebanRapido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    101
    I have had a velociraptor on the front of my hard tail for about a month now. I'm not happy. They just are not big enough for me. Not all because they are too narrow, but they just don't have the air volume I am used to. The 2.2 tire I had on there before was over an inch larger in circumference which makes a big differance over the rough stuff. Still, I can't totally bash this tire. It really does cut well. At no point have I had an issue with sliding out unexpectedly. Also, it really isn't a fast roller. It's ll up to you.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 05kas05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    267
    thanks for the heads up i was interested in the fact that they have a different tread design front and rear.when i bought my nevegals everyone was pretty much in agreement that i should run a nevegal in front or rear but not both.i have them frt and rear but have not noticed any problems. they are by no means worn out i was just wanting to try something different.and i figured it never hurt to have an extra set of tires laying around just in case.we will see what happens thanks again.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,123
    nevs are slower than hell out back. thats the big reason people dont recommend them in the rear. its a good front tire, lots of grip.

    try a IRC mibro 2.25. very very fast tire! good for the summer, bad when it gets wet. its so cheap its worth trying. beats the hell out of a velociraptor!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shenny88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    500
    ive got raptors on my bike, front and rear. They do cut and/or grab real well, but they are a slow rolling tire in comparison to others, probably because of how paddle-like the rear is. Thats the trade off you have to decide. I still like them so far.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,671

    The rear Raptor....

    is actually a slower rolling tire than the Nevegal. Tons of traction, but the heavily lugged squared off paddle like tread makes for a slow tire. A good tire if all you want is traction though. The front is another story. It's the one reason that I gave up on the Velociraptor years ago. They are about the sketchiest thing I've ever used on the front of a bike. If you tend to ride agressively the can be down right scarry. They tend to let go unpredictably at all but moderate lean angles and give very little warrning before they do. Not the best traits in a tire and not very confidence inspiring at all. Your Nevegals are actaully a much better tire. The Vraptor front does have good directional qualities, they track pretty good as long as you aren't being agressive in the turns and they do have good braking traction. But that's about all you can give them. There are deffinately much better tires out there though.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  7. #7
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05
    i was looking to change the tires on my bike and was considering the velociraptors to replace the nevegals i have now.are the wtb velociraptor a good tire,i know they have been around for awhile.
    I had a pair about 10 years ago. They were a good choice back in the day (the late 90's), but there have been better options out there for about a decade now, IMO. Never liked the front (I thought it was sketchy), and the rear rolled really slow and I did not think the traction was good enough to justify it.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I had a pair about 10 years ago. They were a good choice back in the day (the late 90's), but there have been better options out there for about a decade now, IMO. Never liked the front (I thought it was sketchy), and the rear rolled really slow and I did not think the traction was good enough to justify it.
    Agreed. I used to run them on my old GT LTS back in the late 90's / early 2000's. I just threw a pair I had laying around in my garage for 8 years on my hardtail. They are damm slow! I'm gonna toss 'em in the garbage ... what was I thinking keeping those things around so long?!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dcc1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    156

    damn

    Just bought 3 FRONT of the WTB Velociraptor at Performance today for ~ $14.00 /ea. (They only had the front version in the store.)

    I guess maybe I'll use 'em on the rear or return them- I don't want anything described as 'sketchy' on the front.

  10. #10
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc1234
    Just bought 3 FRONT of the WTB Velociraptor at Performance today for ~ $14.00 /ea. (They only had the front version in the store.)

    I guess maybe I'll use 'em on the rear or return them- I don't want anything described as 'sketchy' on the front.
    Three front tires? That's commitment. At the rate those wear on the front (very slow) it will take you 6-9 years to go through those.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    86
    They are really great for climbing, loose/sandy dirt, mud. For everything else there are better options. I'm one of those people who love the raptor but I have learned what it is good at and what it is not. FYI they climb better that Spiderman

  12. #12
    T.W.O
    Reputation: pfox90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,729
    My friend has them and says he likes the Nevagals much more.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dcc1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    156

    oh well, I guess u get what you pay for after all..

    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Three front tires? That's commitment. At the rate those wear on the front (very slow) it will take you 6-9 years to go through those.
    I just figured it was a bargain- so I snagged 'em. Hope its not too terrible to use these front designated tires in the rear-- at least that way I can be done with them in, what........ 3 years perhaps?

    Or maybe I'll just return them because I'd rather spend more $$$ on decent equipment than have to 'suffer'


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FNG RIDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    209
    I can recommend wtb weirwolf 2.3's, Ive had them for the last 2 1/2 yrs.
    they are good on dry loose, wet roots/rocks. not good in mud. roll good and you can run them low because of heavy sidewalls.. great for all mountain/trail riding.
    2.5''s in the front would be ideal.
    Last edited by FNG RIDER; 04-08-2011 at 01:13 PM.

  15. #15
    Formerly Carlos9
    Reputation: Pool Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by FNG RIDER
    I can recommend wtb weirwolf 2.3's, Ive had them for the last 2 1/2 yrs.
    they are good on dry loose, wet roots/rocks. not good in mud. roll good and you can run them low because of heavy sidewalls.. great for all mountain/trail riding.
    2.5''s in the front would be ideal.
    just put some weirwolfs [weirwolves?!] on the single speed i built. 2.55 on the front, 2.1 on the rear. air the front down to 25ish, keep the back around 30 and its been great on the loose sandy surfaces here in the front range. i need to play with the pressure a little but they're also pretty fast rolling on the pavement, pulling the kids behind. i haven't tried them on anything rougher as i don't have the legs for a single speed on a true front range trail yet!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FNG RIDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9
    just put some weirwolfs [weirwolves?!] on the single speed i built. 2.55 on the front, 2.1 on the rear. air the front down to 25ish, keep the back around 30 and its been great on the loose sandy surfaces here in the front range. i need to play with the pressure a little but they're also pretty fast rolling on the pavement, pulling the kids behind. i haven't tried them on anything rougher as i don't have the legs for a single speed on a true front range trail yet!
    Kool! I have had them as low as 17lbs and high as 36. but usaully roll at around 30ish.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    123
    anyone tried running the front as rear?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoomerBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    385
    Anyone running the Nano Raptors?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    49
    i have velociraptors and for the most part do really well. one morning though when the ground was a little damp, the rear suddenly went out from under me on a slight s curve---wow!! totally unexpected and i ended up painfully doing the splits!

  20. #20
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,767
    Velociraptors were pretty good here in SoCal 'back in the day', but there are plenty of great choices available now. The Velociraptors are 2.1" wide and we have so many more 'voluminous' offerings, they just don't make as much sense as they used to considering how slow they roll.

    If you want the absolute traction monster that will roll considerably easier than the Velociraptor, try a Kenda Telonix in 2.2" on the rear, and pair it up with something like a Specialized Purgatory (Control) on the front.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •