1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

WTB Pure V saddle - worth upgrading from?

So in the past 2 days, I've taken my bike out for a couple of easy-going bike rides along the beach. All flat pavement, but it was with my wife and I was pulling our daughter in a little bike trailer. After about 5-10 minutes or so, I began to notice my rear getting a bit uncomfortable from sitting on the saddle. After 8 miles round trip, my sit bones (well, the soft tissue around them) were pretty sore overall. We went on a shorter 5 mile trip yesterday, and the feeling was pretty much compounded.

The seat that's currently on my bike is a WTB Pure V. I guess my question is whether this is a decent enough saddle, or if there's a reasonable replacement that I should consider swapping it out for. I've looked around the boards and seen a few other models suggested to others like the WTB Rocket V... It looks fairly similar to the Pure V, is it really much of a step upwards at all?

My previous bike had a medieval torture device, er, saddle that I replaced with one suggested by a LBS. I remember it was insanely comfortable, but in the 10 years since I bought it/7 since it was stolen, I've forgotten what kind of seat it was... After poring over Google Image search, I think it may have been a Specialized Body Contour model, or at least very strongly resembled one. I'd love to find another saddle that was as comfortable as that one was... I was more upset about losing that than I was about the rest of the bike, lol. Curse you, bicycle thief!!!

mtbr member

Re: WTB Pure V saddle - worth upgrading from?

Purr Vs are pretty comfortable. It just may not fit you.

Rocket V is similar, but more narrow. It's not an upgrade, just a different sadle.

How much have you been riding lately? Did you just start back up?

Takes a while for your butt to get used to biking again if you've been off. If this is the case, you may be remembered a time when you were used to your saddle and biking more constantly.
    I can't tell from your post if your bike was stolen recently or if you've been biking recently or a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It's been years since I've biked. My old bike was a Mongoose with a saddle that had just enough padding to be considered a cruel joke. I rode it for a day or two before I couldn't stand it anymore and bought a better saddle. I remember being sore for a few more days (I was pretty bruised from the horrid stock saddle) but feeling an immediate improvement in ride quality from the replacement, and by a week's end, I was back to being totally comfortable. I put it away for the winter, and when I began riding again in the spring, I had none of the discomfort I'd experienced with the stock saddle. Honestly, if I could remember what kind of saddle it was, I'd buy it again without hesitation.