1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Wrong Stem

mtbr member

Wrong Stem

Oops.
    I bought a awesome looking Ritchey WCS wet white stem that fits my bike great and weighs practically nothing (110 grams).

However, this seems to be a ROAD bike stem, not a MTN Bike stem.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    :-(

Yes it's very stiff and feels solid as a rock!
    But, it's very thin and looks out of place next to the other hardware on my bike.
    It looks like it should be on a road bike, I am not sure I'd want to take a big hit on it.

I think I will just break down and get a Thompson x4.
    They are awesome on my friends bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Look on the Richey web site ,you should be able to tell what it is there.

mtbr member
    The Ritchey website show's a model in the MTB section jsut like mine.
    I saw that before I bought it too.
    But in person, the stem is exceptionally small.
    The stem is barely 1" in diameter and the clamp is also very thin and feels stretched just to fit on a 31. bar.
    The handlebar is a larger diameter than the stem, how is this a MTB part? (shaking head)

mtbr member
    Ritchey say's it's ultra strong. But every time I lean on it I cringe, it's so small.
    I can't bring myself to land a jump on it, it's got to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    Ritchey say's it's ultra strong. But every time I lean on it I cringe, it's so small.
    I can't bring myself to land a jump on it, it's got to go.
    Ask them if they accept returns/refunds if not try craigslist.

mtbr member
    I am seriously thinking of going with the conservatively priced Truvativ AKA Stem.
    I had one before and it was like a girder but not too heavy 170g, as a bonus it's like $50 and comes in my favorite color white.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's fine. If you're that worried, write Ritchey and ask what they recommend.

You wanted a light component. You paid for a light component. They make them lighter by using a stronger material, but less of it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    It's fine. If you're that worried, write Ritchey and ask what they recommend.

You wanted a light component. You paid for a light component. They make them lighter by using a stronger material, but less of it.
    ^^^
    This. That stem is made for gram counters and xc racers. that doesnt mean it's not strong though.

mtbr member
    You are right it's not flexy at all.
    But the size of the neck and the thinness of the clamp keep me from taking even a tame jump.
    It may be strong enough but I don't want to risk it failing with me on the bike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Even stems that are for mountain bikes, aren't intended for certain uses. I wouldn't use some XC stems on an AM ride. I've had a Syncros XC stem that even when tightened onto the steerer tube, you can see it bending. Thats not to say I won't use it on my hard tail where I do mainly XC rides with. It works, but you wouldn't see me on an AM ride with it any time soon.