1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: wrong size bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

wrong size bike

Hello,
    I got the 2000 stumpjumper fsr xc pro from my friend he just moved out of town for a new job. The bike size is 19" and I am only 5'5. Does it help if I get a shorter stem and lower the seatpost? If I replace the frame to small or medium size, where I can find it? I been look around ebay and local craiglist but couldn't find it. The bike and components is very good condition, he mainly use it around the campus.

mtbr member
    Sell it and buy a bike that is the correct size for you.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    You could probably get away with a shorter stem on a 17" frame, but a 19" is too big. I am also 5'5, and I like riding mediums because I like using a short stem.

I would suggest looking into purchasing just a frame, removing the components from the bike you got from your friend, and selling that frame on eBay. It may take a while to find what you're looking for on there, but eventually what you want will pop-up.

mtbr member
    Sell it. On ebay it can be worth 700-1000$. For such money you can buy a new good bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'd sell it and buy a proper sized bike. I don't think I'd spend money on a new frame just to put 13 year old components on it.

mtbr member
    another vote for sell it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You would want to think twice on moving the parts to a new frame. There can be a lot of differences between frames that you would need to change.Thing like seat posts,front derailluer ,bottom brackets, forks.