1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Wrong bike size?

I just purchased a new gary fisher 2008 piranha. I test rode a 19 inch, and a 21 inch. I told them that the 21 inch felt a little big, but they assured me since I was 6"0 that it was perfect. They said I should have 1 inch of clearance from the top tube to my crotch. Which I do, but barely. So I purchased it.

I decided to read the manual and it says I have should 2-3 inches of clearance for mountain bikes and 1 for regular bikes. I do feel that the bike is a little big as well.

I have only ridden the bike twice, and it's not dirty and has no scratches on it at all, do you think I would be able to exchange it for the 19 inch?

Do you also think the 21 inch is too big for a 6'0 person?

AKA Dr.Nob
    For the third time this week (nothing against you, just making a mental note)

Standover is the most useless measurement ever. It has nothing to do with fitting a bike. The LBS should know this and if this is the only thing they used to size you they should know better.

Fisher bikes are known to be a little long in the top tube. I ride 21" frames but am 6'3". I would say that 21" would be a too big for somebody 6'0" (although height only is not a good way to size bike).

I would try to change the bike for a 19"
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

responsible zombie owner
    i'm 6'0" and ride a 21" and a 21.5". the latter was a bargain only available in that size and it does leave me a little bit stretched out, but the 21" is perfect. the difference is not really the frame size but the stems - the 21" has a 25 degree stem while the bigger bike has a 7 degree stem, so i'm leaning further forward to reach the handlebars.

neither bike gives me more than 1" of standover. if i ever land on my crotch i will notice it but until then it makes no difference to the ride.

the bigger bike is great for me because i ride fast flat trails and some tarmac. if i were doing technical rides i would want a smaller frame which would be more manageable over rough stuff. if you do feel your new bike is just too big, and changing the stem won't help, then i would take it back. make sure it stays in perfect condition on the way!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    i'm 6'0" and ride a 21" and a 21.5".
    But are your bikes Gary Fishers?
    A 19" (large) Gary Fisher is comparable to a 21" (large) bike from some manufacturers.
    A 21" (extra large) Gary Fisher is comparable to a 23" (extra large) bike from some manufacturers.
    I think a 'Large' framed bike would probably be more suitable for someone 6' than a bike with an 'Extra Large' frame.
    I'm 5'11" and ride a 19" (Medium) Giant.

MTBR Member
    If you feel more comfortable on the 19" then I would take the 21" back and exchange it. I'm sure that your shop would be ok with that as long as it is in great condition. I'm 5'10-5'11 or so and I ride a 19" fisher tassajara the 17.5 just felt cramped to me. Like qatar said the smaller frame will give you a little more maneuverability and if it doesn't feel like you are cramped then that is what i would go with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I am 6'2" and both of my Gary Fisher's are 21", BUT I have an inseam of 34", so they fit. I think 21" would be too big for most people who are 6'0"......unless they have disproportionately long legs.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

MTBR Member
    Did they make the swap for you? I hope everything turned out alright...
    Last edited by ncfisherman; 06-30-2008 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    They swapped it for me, but the guy said he still felt I needed a 21 inch. I took it for a ride and immediately I noticed that the shifter was a little cracked at the bottom, and I couldn't even shift into 2-3rd gear without the chain rubbing on the front derailer. So I took it in before they closed and they said they won't swap it out again and I told them I feel that's not the quality I should have gotten for a $850 bike (yeah I paid over the MSRP....?) so he agreed he will swap it for the one in the back hanging up if I sign a waiver saying I understand I cannot come back and swap the frame again. Ugh, I just want a bike to ride on the McKenzie river trail on friday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyVisto
    They swapped it for me, but the guy said he still felt I needed a 21 inch. I took it for a ride and immediately I noticed that the shifter was a little cracked at the bottom, and I couldn't even shift into 2-3rd gear without the chain rubbing on the front derailer. So I took it in before they closed and they said they won't swap it out again and I told them I feel that's not the quality I should have gotten for a $850 bike (yeah I paid over the MSRP....?) so he agreed he will swap it for the one in the back hanging up if I sign a waiver saying I understand I cannot come back and swap the frame again. Ugh, I just want a bike to ride on the McKenzie river trail on friday.
    I'm surprised that he swaped the bike for you. I've never heard of any bike shop swaping bikes once you drive away with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    I'm surprised that he swaped the bike for you.

yea.. it's apparent that they hate me there. now i'll feel uneasy taking it in to get serviced and stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    sounds like there's either something else to this or you need to find a new LBS.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    sounds like there's either something else to this or you need to find a new LBS.
    Well I'v been happy with their service, and i'm still happy as long as things get resolved. I even took my trek 4300 disc and am having them replace the rim since I got hit by a car on it on monday. Funny thing is, I bought that trek 4300 from them just a few weeks ago.
    They are just un-happy that I changed my mind about the 21 inch and swapped it and then came back to swap it again. They say they can't sell the bike for full price after it's been taken home (which I understand) I'm sure there wasn't any big problems with the 19 inch one, but it's an expensive bike and i'd like to leave with a 100% perfect condition bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well I'v been happy with their service, and i'm still happy as long as things get resolved. I even took my trek 4300 disc and am having them replace the rim since I got hit by a car on it on monday. Funny thing is, I bought that trek 4300 from them just a few weeks ago.
    They are just un-happy that I changed my mind about the 21 inch and swapped it and then came back to swap it again. They say they can't sell the bike for full price after it's been taken home (which I understand) I'm sure there wasn't any big problems with the 19 inch one, but it's an expensive bike and i'd like to leave with a 100% perfect condition bike.
    So you swaped it twice?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    So you swaped it twice?
    Yes. I swapped the 21inch for the 19 inch they had. I got the 19 inch home and it when I flipped it over, there was mud splatters on the bottom. There's no mud or dirt around the shop so I'm pretty sure it's been ridden/bought before. I also noticed the shifter was a little cracked on the bottom, and I couldn't even shift into 2-3rd gear without the chain rubbing. I know all of those are easy fixes, but I feel I should get a bike that's in 100 % condition when spending that kind of money. Not to mention they left me with a back tire low of air.

MTBR Member
    yeah they should be taking care of you spending that kind of money especially having just bought a 4300 a few weeks earlier. I certainly would not pay that much either...i picked up my 08 tassajara for $815. Sounds like you should find a new shop. I would probably take it right back to them. Although might be a little late for that. What about changing out the spring in the fork?

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and I have a 17". It gets close at time to my knees but I like it a little smaller so I can man handle it and jump it better.
    [SIZE="3"][08' Windsor Ghost 6500][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Rock Shox Dart 1 - Tektro Discs - WTB Velociraptors - Alex DP17 rims[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Ride it like you stole it.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers
    I'm 6' and I have a 17". It gets close at time to my knees but I like it a little smaller so I can man handle it and jump it better.
    Great example. I think it depends on what your using the bike for. I don't do any jumping so at 5'11, a 19 is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    yeah they should be taking care of you spending that kind of money especially having just bought a 4300 a few weeks earlier. I certainly would not pay that much either...i picked up my 08 tassajara for $815. Sounds like you should find a new shop. I would probably take it right back to them. Although might be a little late for that. What about changing out the spring in the fork?

I asked about the coil earlier this morning, he said they can do that for me but he doesn't think I need a harder one. I told him I think it would bottom out of I went off like a 2 foot drop, and he said I shouldn't be going off 2 foot drops with this bike anyway, said that it's not made for it and could damage the frame. Which a 2 ft more than i'd want to do anyway, i'm more into the ride the trail with some speed and just have fun/relax. Trails like the mckenzie river trail and alpine in oakridge are what I like.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and I had a 19" GF for the longest time. Great bikes...fit me perfect.
    Now I ride a large Giant Trance X2. Another great bike.
    With the amount of business and jacking you around they did...they owe you.
    Talk to the owner and get what you want...now.
    And if that doesn't work just mention the name of the LBS here
    so we all can stay clear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer
    I'm 6' and I had a 19" GF for the longest time. Great bikes...fit me perfect.
    Now I ride a large Giant Trance X2. Another great bike.
    With the amount of business and jacking you around they did...they owe you.
    Talk to the owner and get what you want...now.
    And if that doesn't work just mention the name of the LBS here
    so we all can stay clear.

I'm not even sure who the owner was, but I do think it was the guy I talked too. One guy told me they would swap it again, and then the original guy came over and told me they can't do it and I said "well the other guy said he would soo.." and he's like "I have more authority over him." At that point I had to have my mom come down and ***** to even get him to swap it out. This same guy, who has been a dick to me the whole time forgot to give me back my drivers lisence after test tiding the GF, and then took off to pick up his wife/mom. I had to wait 30 minutes for him to get back.

Basically on monday we are going to get the new bike. He said he wants me to ride it around and make sure it's all good, and then have the mechanic do a double check on it. Once we are happy with it, we have to sign a waiver that states we cannot try to trade it in again. I doubt they will even swap it. I'm sure they will fix the shifter lever and give it a tune up. I guess we'll see.

MTBR Member
    Yeah you are probably right about them just fixing up the one you test rode today. Personally I would not give them any more business. I would take the Piranha back to them and get your money back. If you can't swing it bring mom a long i'm sure that would work. Usually you will find shops that are willing to make you happy with your ride. I have nothing but good things to say about my shop and I'm near Wilmington, NC(not exactly a huge area for mountain biking) Anyways I guess see what happens on monday but I think I would tell them to take a hike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah you are probably right about them just fixing up the one you test rode today. Personally I would not give them any more business. I would take the Piranha back to them and get your money back. If you can't swing it bring mom a long i'm sure that would work. Usually you will find shops that are willing to make you happy with your ride. I have nothing but good things to say about my shop and I'm near Wilmington, NC(not exactly a huge area for mountain biking) Anyways I guess see what happens on monday but I think I would tell them to take a hike.
    They offered to give me my money back and leave, but no other shops around here have what I wanted. I mean, if they don't swap the frame but fix everything else.. I guess that would be fine. I'll be ale to tell if they swapped it or not though, where the chain stay is, there's a little thin layer of plastic or something that protects the frame.. the ends were coming off of it so that should tip me off. And, i I don't want to be on bad terms with them as my trek 4300 bike is and will be under warranty with them for a long time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I definitely have one bike shop where I bought a bike, and they won't be getting my business anymore. I should have stayed with the bike shop I've always done business at. They didn't have the bike I was looking for so I bought from the other shop that I will no longer be going to, due to the way they conduct there business.

MTBR Member
    They offered to give me my money back and leave, but no other shops around here have what I wanted. I mean, if they don't swap the frame but fix everything else.. I guess that would be fine. I'll be ale to tell if they swapped it or not though, where the chain stay is, there's a little thin layer of plastic or something that protects the frame.. the ends were coming off of it so that should tip me off. And, i I don't want to be on bad terms with them as my trek 4300 bike is and will be under warranty with them for a long time.
    Well check it out then...I'm surprised that there are not more shops selling the fishers in your area being that you are in oregon. I hope that they do you right b/c you have already dropped quite a bit in there. They really don't sound like very good businessmen. Anyways, just check everything out really well before you roll out...and I hope you can get back to enjoying your ride soon because that is what its all about. good luck man and keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well check it out then...I'm surprised that there are not more shops selling the fishers in your area being that you are in oregon. I hope that they do you right b/c you have already dropped quite a bit in there. They really don't sound like very good businessmen. Anyways, just check everything out really well before you roll out...and I hope you can get back to enjoying your ride soon because that is what its all about. good luck man and keep us posted.

Yep, I definitely will look at everything. I'll spend a good 20-30 minutes riding it around before we leave too. I'll keep this thread posted with the results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast