1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Wrist Pain & Other questions

It's been little over a month since i got my bike.
    I have been to 10~12 miles beginner trail 3 times since and i put minimum 10 miles per day everyday since. I had to skip yesterday's ride because my wrist is in awful pain. Pain started 'after' the trail on Sunday and it got worst on same day night. I band supported my wrist with bangay yesterday and i feel little better today (I can 'type' today). this is my second injury since my right wrist in first day when i got my bicycle.

I try to adopt other rider's positions at the trail and here are some questions and things that I do...

-I didn't get bike fit, I am little over 5'9 without shoes and i bought used 2012 Specialized Carve Expert stock Med frame.
    -I often stand up to attack(?) whenever i need more push...including uphills but I noticed not many riders (or none) stands up at the trail
    -I try to straighten my wrist and bend elbows little
    -I jump whenever I have chance. I land with rear wheels first, front wheels first or land both both wheels at same time.
    -I wear padded glove, my grip is oury
    -I wear running shoes with stock paddle.
    -My seat height is little higher than the handle bar
    -didn't feel numbness, pain is in little finger side wrist, both hands.
    -I use my one middle finger with brakes
    -I grip thumps down whole time.

I am not sure this pain is from bad landing because trail doesn't have drops, just little jumps and my first right wrist pain didn't come from trail...

anything that I shouldn't do? or doing it wrong? I will try to workout my wrist when my wrist gets better, i will also get wrist band/supports for my next ride...

I didn't go to see my doctor since pain goes away day after day but i don't know what i am doing it wrong...maybe not straightened enough? sometimes i feel some good impacts when descending with speed...my stem should higher? longer? shorter? bigger frame? better shocks?

I couldn't hold my 16 month son for last two days and my wife stares me without a word...and i am just worried that i can't ride...

Please help...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A fitting may help, and check your brake levers and make sure they aren't angled too far up. They should be aligned with your forearm in your normal riding position. Also a weak core can cause you to put too much weight on your hands. Beyond that try shifting your grip around and try to avoid having a death grip on the bars.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    ^^ I would agree with all the above. I had a similar issue when I got into this mtb mess. Lots of wrist pain. My brake and shifter levers were too horizontal. I had to place them into a more extreme "attack" position. This helped. Then, the big thing, I had to learn to lighten my death grip on the bars. That was a real problem that I hadn't consciously noticed at first. Still to this day, I will often open my hands and lay them across the top of the grips and lever, thumbs included, and force the use of my core while peddling. This is a good reminder for me to ease off on the tight grip. My wrist issues are essentially gone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    what is Death grip? meaning your holding your life on grips? like falling off from cliff?
    I never noticed how hard I was gripping, I only pay attention to the wrist angles.
    I will try your practice on daily riding and try to adjust the brake lever angle to lower position and also will look for more of core weighting...
    thank you muncie and my sack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    death grip is when you're holding the bars too tightly. It depends on the terrain but you should think about gripping the the bars the same as you would hold a glass of water. You hold it tight enough to not drop it but you don't squeeze it hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    In my experience there are a few different things that can cause wrist pain.

Too tight grip: It may sound odd, but try to ride without the padded gloves. I am suggesting this because the padding may make it less obvious to you if you grip the handlebars too tightly. As suggested above, you must avoid the "death grip". Gripping too tight has several negative sides, it prevents blood circulation, causes fatigue, delivers more impact to the wrists (see below) and it can give muscle pain because there are many small muscles in the hands that can get overloaded.

Too much weight on the handlebars: You mention that your seat is a little higher than your handlebars. You might benefit from a slightly more upright position while you gain some wrist and core strength.

Incorrect wrist angle: As others observed already, your brake levers determine the angle of your wrists. If these are set too high, it will cause pain. When riding uphill, especially standing, the angle is even worse, if you still keep a finger on the brake lever.

Ulna nerve: Some people, myself included, are very sensitive to strain on the hand nerve called ulna. One thing that really helped me is ergonomic grips with a platform that better supports the little finger side of the hand. ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS I don't use this brand, I bought some that are a lot cheaper just to see if it would help, and the difference was amazing. I link to this one because it has a nice graphics that shows the issue clearly.

Impact shock: You should probably not land on the front wheel after jumps. To find out if this is the cause, maybe you should do a few rides where you avoid jumps, so you can compare the pain. If your pain comes from impacts when landing jumps, it does not mean that you have to stop jumping. You will simply have to build up a bit of strength, and more importantly, develop the correct technique.

Let us know how things go! Biking should not cause pain like this. Hope you will be able to hold your kid again soon

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    wrist feels much better and i think i can ride again (on the road). I missed it last night because of Dodgers game. I will look in to grips also,

Thank you all!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sure. Also try keeping your elbows bent. It'll help you absorb shock better and make it harder for you to put a lot of weight on the bars.