1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Wrist pain - Just purchased Cannondale Rush 400

Hi All,

Just purchased my first decent bike. I have been riding a Dept. Store Mongoose w/ full suspension. My only complaint so far is the pain/discomfort in my wrist. I never had any pain when riding the goose, so I'm guessing something needs to be adjusted? I'm not sure, but I get the impression that maybe my handlebars need to be raised to shift my CG back on the bike? Also, the grips feel to small and hard for my hands, hard to hang on to once hands get sweaty. I'll probably get gloves, but I was wondering if the grips should be replaced.

ride hard take risks
    Could be handlebar adjustment, levers relocated, grips & just need gloves. It's fairly simple to adjust bars & controls, loosen the bars & set them where they feel comfortable. Next loosen the controls & adjust to be comfortable, controls you can make snug so you can ride around the neighbor hood & rotate them till comfy, then tighten. Check out the ODI grips, the Yeti ones are very cush.

http://www.odigrips.com/mtb_yeti_lo.htm

mtbr member
    Hey dogonfr, thanks for the advice. I picked up some mechanics gloves from Home Depot on the way home and it made my ride much better. Will try to tinker with handlebar and component placement today. I'm pretty sure the brakes levers need to be rotated down because I'm have to slightly lift my wrist when braking. Thanks for the link to the grips, those look a lot more comfortable than my current setup.

ride hard take risks
    Hope it works for you, if not hollar back & i'll bang my head on the wall & see what falls out next. I have thumb pains & sometimes wear EVS wrist brace for comfort. The one i use is the WB01.

http://www.evs-sports.com/products/?prodCategory=8

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just bought a scalpel 1000, and I'm getting the same thing. It has flat bars, though, do you think switching to a riser would help at all? It's not immediate, more like on a longer ride, my thumb starts to go numb and I get pain in the wrist. It sorta feels like the handlebar is too narrow It's really the only complaint I have with the bike though, assuming my ass gets used to the seat

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evisr8r
    I just bought a scalpel 1000, and I'm getting the same thing. It has flat bars, though, do you think switching to a riser would help at all? It's not immediate, more like on a longer ride, my thumb starts to go numb and I get pain in the wrist. It sorta feels like the handlebar is too narrow It's really the only complaint I have with the bike though, assuming my ass gets used to the seat
    If you are leaning on the bars that can create problems. Look to see if there are shims on top of the stem if there is remove the stem & put the shim under it. Be shure the controls are in a comfortable possition next would be a riser bar. Funny coment about bar width, i am helping a 17 year old XC racer & he wore the grips on the outsides & said he would like a wider bar for comfort & to open his lungs for better breathing. Check out the WTB seats they are very comfortable.

http://www.wtb.com/index_flash.html