1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Wrist Pain

W.M.A.

Wrist Pain

Has anyone else experienced significant wrist pain after riding?

i had it start with only my right wrist. After a 2 hour ride last night my left wrist has the same pain. Doesn’t feel like muscle - maybe tendon???

I am wondering if it is because I am holding the bars to tight… you know death grip style – I try not to, but still being a relative newbie sometime it gets a little hairy…

Here is where the pain is – actually above the wrist...

thanks!

ride hard take risks
    This seems to becoming more common, if you do a search it's averaging about 1 per month. Could be a number of things, like you said death grip, levers not low enough, handlebar rotated too far back, too shot a TT then there is the dreaded getting old pains. I get pains in my thumb joint near the wrist only after the ride, adrenaline is a good thing, sometimes i wear a EVS WB01 wrist brace that helps alot. :smile5:

http://www.evs-sports.com/products/?prodCategory=8

mtbr member
    I get wrist pain in that same spot when I use my carbon riser bars, but not when I use the On One Mary bar. It has a MUCH more comfy hand position and is also more comfortable for my shoulder. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...Hanlde-Bar.htm

mtbr member
    May 2006
    are you just riding, or hitting drops and jumps too? i had a similar problem when i started Urban/free riding, and found that i was relying on my fork too much. if you do hit jumps etc. try landing on your back tyre,

W.M.A.
    i am riding XC so a few drops log jumps etc - but no huge drops... i do my best to land on the rear tire...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I suffer from the same pain but mine has been from surgery on my wrist (fell 8-9 ft). Normal I have the pain after riding hard and I just put on some icy hot and my wrist brace for a bit and the pain normally goes away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Try with softening your fork. A friend used to have suffer from wrist pain and once he did that it was all right

Your bike is incorrigible
    I had (sometimes still get) pain that runs from my the middle of my forearm through my palm on the underside. I know it's the tendons. I went to the doctor, and he told me to stick my arm in warm water to get the tendons and muscles relaxed, then use icy hot and massage the tendons. I also use a wrist protector when I ride. Since I started doing this, the pain hasn't been as bad or lasted as long as the first time. And I do think it was due to riding a fork that was nearly frozen on a severly bumpy trail (where a death grip was needed).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I too am having wrist pain although it is in a different location. Mine is in the joint on the outsides of both of my wrists. I am wondering if this is caused by my handlebars angling down slightly. Besides buying a new bar any other suggestions?
    Thanks
    HOPTOAD

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPTOAD
    I too am having wrist pain although it is in a different location. Mine is in the joint on the outsides of both of my wrists. I am wondering if this is caused by my handlebars angling down slightly. Besides buying a new bar any other suggestions?
    Thanks
    HOPTOAD
    Wait a second! "Angling down"??? Are you sure they actually angle toward the ground, not toward you as you sit on the bike? You should have a slight upsweep (up from the ground) and a backsweep (toward you). The upsweep is minimal (maybe like 3 degrees), while the backsweep differs between bars (anywhere from 5 to 40 degrees). If it's true that your bar is downswept, then there is no wonder you have pain on the outsides of your wrists. That would put a lot of pressure on that area! Get some different bars and try some gloves that have a pad on the outside edge of the palm (pinky side).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Same problem - try bar ends

I had this problem after one of my first real rides of the year with lots of short steep climbs - the kind where you dpro your wrists and pull back on the bars to get traction. I had switched my bars to flat bars and didn't add my barends at first. After that ride I put the bar ends back on and my wrists are finally starting to recover. Climbing with my hands on the bar ends is a much more natural position for me.

Custom User Title
    It sounds like you have not or do not have the bike setup for you. Is it setup how you got it? What I would do is get an allen key that fits the bolts on the stem that retain your bar and one that fits the bolts that retain your seat. Go riding and make minor adjustments to the bar then the seat.As said before
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    You should have a slight upsweep (up from the ground) and a backsweep (toward you). The upsweep is minimal (maybe like 3 degrees),
    start there.

You shold not feel pressure on just the outside or just the inside of your hand. Outside hurts bars rotated too far up, inside bars too far down. This would cause wrist pain in the opposite ways from the stress.

If you slide forward on your seat while pedaling it is nose down too much. If you have to keep scooting foreward the seat is too far back. Make sure the seat is at the correct height though. That depends on what you like but, it should be atleast high enough to put only a slight bend in the leg with the pedal at its bottom stroke.

Take the time to do this and the pain will start to go away. Also make sure the suspension, if you have any, is setup correctly also.

If your back is tired, your seat is too far back or the stem is too long. Unless you are a XC racer.

I can tell if I put something on wrong as soon as I get on my bike. I just have that much saddle time in on her. You will notice once you have a good setup how much better you will ride.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    coldsteele

When you say "Outside hurts bars rotated too far up, inside bars too far down. This would cause wrist pain in the opposite ways from the stress. " Does up mean rotate the bar towards the front wheel and back rotate toward the back wheel?
    Thanks

Certified Silly Bugger!
    Try this for a different solution.

When climbing I find I get bad tendonitis sort of pains in my left wrist. A bit of mild strapping with some Leukotape or similar really helped. It was the pressure through the fingers that did it. This is not too dissimilar to braking hard.
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

Custom User Title
    Most bars have a sweep to them and they differ in the amount. Here are to versions, one is flat and one is a riser.

What I was trying to refer to is, end of the bars as being up and down if you had it laying flat to the horizon. But, it should always sweep backwards more than up or down.

Does that help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes it does thanks.

I have riser handelbars when i place my hands on the bars may wrists are bent towards the inside of the bar ( sort of like pigeon toed). I think if I made a adjustment by rotating the bars towards the front wheel it will help. Tommorrow I will try to upload a picture of it to see what everyone thinks would be the right thing to do .

Thanks for the replies
    HOPTOAD

W.M.A.

follow up...

after riding more - i no longer have that pain!!

i think it was just my muscles and tendons getting used to, well, beign used

Exploreur de Citée

Good job!

Best recommendation... get the new BG Sport Specialized Glove!!! They are really comfortable! I'm using them... Visit this website for more infomation
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...EquipGlovesAll
    Seventh down...

UPDATED:

Just to help you out from what I didn't finish... I still recommend you to buy the Specialized BG Sport Glove. There are
    very comfortable and I think by looking at these picture you get what I mean... Don't you? You said that your wrist hurt...
    I think you might hurt your "Ulnar" nerve. Well hope mine helped. I got mine from Australia from my local cycle shot. They
    cost $35 AUS. It never happened to me cause I started wearing them as soon I start riding in 2006.

Hope you geting better! Even if it's resolve just telling you that this might help a lot!
    Cheers!
    Well hope mine helped!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xenotime; 06-18-2006 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Not completed
    D.Xenotime

Proud to be one of this green community...

mtbr member
    Glove looks nice. I found a combo of the Ergon MP1 and some Pearl Pittards to fix the soreness and achy pains in the wrist/hands.

The Ergon's spread my hand out over more area and relief a lot of stress for me. The gloves have a generous amount of padding and stick very well to the grips.