1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

would you buy a demo bike?

what is a demo bike?
    can u get screwed up with a demo bike?
    most demo bike cannot be returned... is it crazy to buy a demo bike online and send it abroad?

what is the range of savings that should be gained if going for a demo bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sure wouldn't buy one without seeing it hands on first.
    I bought a rental X-Caliber last year. Asked for the wheels to be trued as they were out a bit. Should have checked the chain for wear as I had to spend $50 on a new chain a month or two later.
    Other than that, no issues. Sure made selling it painless as I only lost $100 or so.

Also, check the warranty. Mine came with the original purchaser's full manufacturer's warranty and the usual free tuneups etc from the store.
    I've seen other threads where demos were considered used bikes, no warranty.
    Last edited by Slash5; 12-06-2012 at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    A demo is a bike that a bike shop loans or rents to prospective buyers. Typically, they are well maintained, and can be a good option. Buying one sight unseen is a risk, as is anything used bought that way. If you can see it and test it, and the shop is reputable, I'd compare their price against buying new to estimate the savings. Also, the shop may warranty the bike as if it were new.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    thx buds !

mtbr member
    I would. I have been trying to buy one here in Utah, but the LBS sells them off pretty fast. make sure you inspect the bike before buying since you are buying it as is with no warranty.

mtbr member
    A demo bike is like a used bike. Always inspect both the bike and the seller. Knowing the seller tells you how the bike was maintained. The seller will be a shop that probably also maintained the bike so do you trust the shop and it maint staff?

If you have access to one it is worth considering.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

T.W.O.
    Are you currently outside USA, if yes demo bike is not for you. I've seen a few demo trail bikes they are pretty good. It's best to be able to pick one out of the fleet in person. This is the best time to buy too as many bike parks are setting up for snow season.

I4NI
    I would but dont know about online. Need to inspect
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I'd be a little leery about a demo, especially if I couldn't see it. It's akin to buying a floor model of a TV or some other appliance from a big box store. You get a significant discount, but you can't really tell what kind of wear and tear has been put on it. As long as you can get your hands on it and the warranty was good, I'd do it. Just make sure it's the right size and has what you're looking for as far as components, because I don't think they take those back.

beater
    I'm not sure that a floor model is a good comparison. Like others pointed out, a demo bike will be maintained by the shop that is selling it. Some will do a better job of maintenance than others, but their goal will (should?) always be for the people demoing the bike to have a good experience and then want to buy one. Unlike a floor model TV or stereo that just gets poked at continually. If I were considering it, I'd be guided by the reputation of the shop selling it, and how they come across when you call or email them. And don't expect it to be completely turn-key; you'll almost certainly put some money into the bike sooner than you would if you bought it new, but you should expect that with any used bike purchase.

I have a friend who bought a demo bike sight unseen (a Knolly Endorphin), but like buying any used bike over the internet, he expected to put some money into it. Over a couple years he rebuilt the pivots, replaced the fork and replaced the wheelset, but none of that was immediately necessary when he brought the bike home. And the total he's spent on it is still less than it would have cost him to build the bike new.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Depends how good of a deal it is, I just bought a new bike and was considering buying the loner/demo. But i thought im only saving a couple hundred more, and im going to be looking at a shock service that much sooner and any little bugs that come up im going to be kicking myself for it.

On the other hand, if your looking at a DH sled that used to be a park rental and your paying less then half.. I would do it in a heart beat. But i would not buy one sight unseen, components can be changed but damage to the frame or stanchions is easy to hide in photos.

Just think about how you and your friends demos, then ask... do i want that bike?
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'd buy one if I rode it and liked it but the price would have to match condition.

a demo bike will be maintained by the shop that is selling it.

not around here. Two demo bikes I rode this summer had issues. One had a non-functioning seat post clamp. I put one from my bike on (it just happened to fit) for the test ride and told them about it. A month later a friend of mine rode it and it still had the same messed up clamp. I rode another bike from a different LBS and it had nearly non-functioning brakes (Elixers), bad chain hop and just general neglect. I don't think the local shops give one crap about their demo bikes and I don't get it because I thought the demo bikes are intended to make you WANT to buy a bike like that. If what you're riding is falling apart, I don't think you're going to want a bike like that.