1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Would it be silly...

if I wore knee and elbow pads for simple singletrack riding? Would it scream NOOB too much? Is it uncomfortable at all?

Maybe start with elbow pads?

mtbr member
    sounds like it would scream you dont mind falling but hate getting hurt, sounds sensible to me... guess thats the father in me talking.

bi-winning
    I might think, hey, that guy looks pretty extreme. Maybe he is going to hit some rad jumps hidden in the woods.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Does it matter? I wouldn't laugh at you. If you wanna wear them or feel safer with them on then wear them.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah, I've fallen a few times already, busted up my elbow once and my knee another time. Oh and my back at the same time as my elbow. Fell on my face yesterday. Ate dirt, literally...guess a full face helmet would have been the only thing that would have saved that. Not sure I'm ready to move up to that level, lol.

Maybe I'll start with the elbow pads and see how it works out. I usually ride alone too so I'd like to be as protected as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    I might think, hey, that guy looks pretty extreme. Maybe he is going to hit some rad jumps hidden in the woods.
    LOL, thanks for that!

mtbr member
    dont worry about what other people think of you. if the pads give you confidence then you will learn faster.
    are your trails really gnarly or are you pushing yourself really hard?
    you might want to watch a few online instructional videos if you are new to biking and are wrecking alot.

Jonesin'
    When I first started I didn't even wear a helmet. "How to spot a noob..."

Good thing I rarely see anyone that I didn't bring with me out there.
    Never be the path of least resistance.

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." -Simply Weasels

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I thought the place yesterday was pretty gnarly. Plus someone stopped short before me right where I fell, I may or may not have fallen if that hadn't happened. The other times were stupid mistakes on my end. Not enough speed actually probably caused the other falls. Being *too* careful can cause crashes too. I just want to feel safer. I'll go with the pads and damn what other people think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    TBH, who cares what other people thinks of you. As long as you're out there having fun, and being safe, that's all that matters. At the end of the day, you might not even see these people again, so who cares right?

I think knees and elbow pads are not extreme at all, esp if you're riding somewhere where you're not familiar with. Better safe than sorry right? And with the pads, it might give you that extra confidence about leaning that bike a bit more when cornering or going a bit faster on decents, etc which leads to knowing your bike better and knowing how your bike handles in certain situations.

So keep riding and having fun, and be safe. That's all that matters.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I used to wear forearm guards. Kinda wish I'd started earlier.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Wear them. In no time you'll be confident enough to leave them at home.

Look at this way, we ride around in the woods looking pretty uncool to begin with. A set of pads isn't going to strike your fashion score down any further than it already is.

If it were me, I would start with knee pads, I got my screenname for good reasons.

RideDirt
    Im actually in the market for some knee pads right now, i have not fallen as i do have experience in bikes , i have fallen before in my younger days . Bottom line , i have a full time business to run and this is just a sport/hobby for me so ya ill take pads any day of the week to keep me safe .

Picture Unrelated
    I fall on my knees more than my elbows so if you're going to wear elbows then I would get knees too. If it makes you feel better then wear them, I've never been bothered when I was wearing pads.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well, ordered a pair of elbow and knee pads. I guess it won't be too bad. Tshirt and baggy mountain biking shorts should cover most of the padding.

I guess we all do look pretty dorky wearing helmets and camelbaks and whatnot anyway. Riding around on giant wheels and falling off bikes.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

MTB B'dos
    As others have said, who gives a damn what anyone else thinks, oonce you're comfortable with it. That being said, if you're falling alot, all be it you said it was probably technique and lac of speed, I'd take a careful look at your bike setup and make sure you're maybe not a bit to forward biased/weight forward. Also check pressure on the fork and shock if you have both and make sure it's not eating through the travel or brake diving too badly. Practice getting your weight back on steep descents, but remember to also keep some weight on the front to maintain the ability to steer, remember to weight the front wheel when cornering to help avoid wash outs and try to loads the outside and help the bike dig in.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    if I wore knee and elbow pads for simple singletrack riding? Would it scream NOOB too much? Is it uncomfortable at all?

Maybe start with elbow pads?
    It is all about the ride.

Professional Speed Bump
    Definitely not silly. My buddy that I ride with always wears his knee pads and shin guards. One time some stranger commented "Wow, you're pretty extreme huh?" to which my buddy replied "No, I just fall a lot."

It would look odd, however, if you wore pads and guards with Lycra. So baggie shorts are recommended.

Ride or die
    I've been riding for over 20 years and prefer to wear pads on even basic stuff. At 36, I am just too old for skinned knees and elbows. I have some 661 soft pads that are comfortable and non-intrusive that I use for regular trails. I often forget they're there. When I ride more technical stuff,I have some POC Bone gear with hard shells for more intense hits.

I've been riding long enough to know that the worst falls occur when I am complacent and lazy on a familiar trail, so in the interest of keeping my body in working order, I'll just continue to strap up. After all, it's your body; do what you want.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Well, ordered a pair of elbow and knee pads. I guess it won't be too bad. Tshirt and baggy mountain biking shorts should cover most of the padding.

I guess we all do look pretty dorky wearing helmets and camelbaks and whatnot anyway. Riding around on giant wheels and falling off bikes.
    Which elbow and knee pads did you go with if you dont mind me asking? I would like an update or review if you have a chance

T.W.O.
    When it comes to pads, only noobs feel like noobs no one else cares what you wear. It's how you ride that give you away, proper trail etiquette is more of red flags than wearing pads.

It's always a good thing to protect yourself, downtime due to injury sucks and every riders know that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Knee and elbow are not unreasonable for just about any type of riding. And I live in a country with free healthcare

Dirt Deviant
    You look alot cooler wearing knee/elbow pads while riding than you do writhing around in agony on the ground bleeding......
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    You look alot cooler wearing knee/elbow pads while riding than you do writhing around in agony on the ground bleeding......
    Hey! Have you been spying on me?!?!
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Hey! Have you been spying on me?!?!
    Maybe.......*rustles bushes
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast