1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Would a '08 GT Marathon 2.0 be over kill?

Last summer I decided I really wanted to get into riding a bike again, so I went to my local bike shop and bought a cheap diamondback (thats all they sell). So I drove it around all summer, even though I didn't care much at all for the bike I just enjoyed the ride. I went riding around one day and got hit by a truck which luckily didn't hurt me but it trashed the bike. So i'm considering stepping it up since I want to do more serious mountain biking. Would it be too much for someone in my position?

I tried posting a pic of it but it's too large. So here's the url:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

Thanks for any help,
    Kevin.

mtbr member
    I would say no it isnt but I would suggest test riding before buying
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Im trying to track down a store close to me to go for a test ride before I do any buying for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    that's a spendy pig

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ^anything you'd recommend outside of it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    last year I bought a GT avalanche 3.0, basic bike to get into.
    Biking a lot & upgraded last month to the GT marathon 2.0 - great bike.
    I thought I would only notice the upgrade to suspension, but also enjoy the better brakes, shifters, handling, etc.

Check out other brands in that price range, going from front suspension to full suspension is a big upgrade.

mtbr member
    In that price range, there are many entry level FS bikes with solid components on them. Especially if you look at non current models.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That's a quite solid price. I like the marathons as trail bikes, they have a bit more fork travel than other FS XC race rigs. The LX stuff has been replaced by SLX in the latest year, but at retail you would be getting deore, so it hardly matters.

But it would be nice to be able to test ride the bike. make sure they shop sets up the suspension for you, this can make a big difference in whether you like the bike or not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Both the Trek EX7 and Fisher HiFi Plus from 08 will be less than or equal to that. I would look at those also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Definately will check out ^ those bikes as well. Thanks for all the help guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    go and spend what you can afford for a bike, the less you spend more you will regret later...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    dude, I just bought the 2.0 as my first mountain bike buy since college (I used a wal-mart bike to get from point A to point B then).

It took some tweaking and a few trips to the shop to get it set right, but now its f*ing awesome.

I had a small problem at first due to the rear derailer cable getting loose when my suspension compressed, but the guys at performance bike replaced the cable with one to fix the compression problem.

Next I had a issue with chain sag, but increasing my rear suspension PSI and adjusting the cable settings fixed any signs of chain sag, so no worries.

It rides like a champ and has made getting into XC riding a dream. I paid $1350+ tax for mine (I think they're running $1399 at performance bike now)...kind of a big purchase and risk not knowing how much I would like the sport, but I've been putting about 40-60 miles a week on it for the last two months...again, awesome bike. Liked it enough that I bought my wife the ladies version.