1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Worth rebuilding, mongoose D70R

I've got an older late 90s Mongoose D70R that I rode a little as a teen. Now toying with the idea of getting back into riding to stay in shape and something to do. I know its not the best bike out there but at this point its more or less free. The derailleurs flat out suck on it and the tires on it need to be replaced. Is it worth the time and a little money to ride it or am I better off taking what i can get for it on CL and buying a better hard tail.

Thanks Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What are the specs? My hunch is that it's probably not worth spending much money on, but I'm not familiar with this bike. I'm not seeing a lot of info online about it either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    IIRC its a dept store special. Its got Rock Jett front shocks and a rear shock not sure the brand 24 speed. 26R x1.95s

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, not worth any money on. You might be able to get it up and running without spending anything if you learn how to do some basic service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I know i can get the derailleurs adjusted but still leaves the issues with tires, needs tubes and rubber both dry rotted and not holding air. put 50 PSI in them last night had 16 at lunch time

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
    I know i can get the derailleurs adjusted but still leaves the issues with tires, needs tubes and rubber both dry rotted and not holding air. put 50 PSI in them last night had 16 at lunch time
    OK. Tires can be swapped from bike to bike, so it wouldn't be much of a problem putting new tires on. I might recommend CST tires for something cheap that performs well. You can get them online for around $12-$15 per tire.

Sorry about the first sentence in my last post. I must be out of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    after spending a little time working on it its time to shop for a new or used hard tail. bike is way to short for me now so the hunt begins

'Tis but a scratch
    From what I can tell this is a Walmart special so its best you discovered its too small. That way you can put your money to something better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm 6'3" so its way under sized I like wrenching on stuff figured playing around with a bike would be the next step just not with this as a base its on CL now to free up space for something better. Debating between a Trex 3700 a Specialized hardrock and a Cannondale Trail 6 all with discs and 26s

mtbr member
    Yes it's worth rebuilding, I have owned a D70 for over 10 years now and I have put it though hell and it's still going strong. The D70 is not a Walmart Mongoose, these were made before the Pacific Bike take over. Mine weighs only 31 pounds. Put a Rock Shock Dart or another good fork on it and it should be ok. You can't kill this frame. Sure it will pogo on the rough trails, but you can change out the fork and the suspension in the back and it will make a world of difference. I would love to find another one Craigslist or something and give it to my son. This isn't a high end bike, but it's not junk ether.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For whats available these days on ebay and craigslist I wouldnt say any bike over 5-8 years old is worth spending money on with a few very small exceptions. Outdated technology, modern part fitment issues, and overall just crappy geometry.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)