1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Worried my bike is too big

ok so I just go a new rockhopper comp. It's a 21 inch, and I'm 6'2''. I got a size 21 because I've never really been mountain biking before and the test ride in the parking lot made me feel like that was the right size. However now that I took it out in the dirt I noticed that I think a one size smaller bike would be better for me.
    So my question is should I try and sell it while it still has value before I wear it in too much and go for a smaller bike? Or does it not matter that much and is it a good idea to just get used to it? thanks for any help

AZ
    banned
    Give it a chance, sounds like it probably is the right size IMHO.

mtbr member
    I have a 19 inch Rockhopper and i am 6'2" and the bike fits me good but that don't mean you have the wrong size...feel it out a little more before you make a decision ..

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Give it a chance, sounds like it probably is the right size IMHO.
    +1. Certainly it's in the ballpark.

If, after a few more rides, it still feels big, a shorter stem may be in order.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Try lowering the seat - you will find that doing this will make the bike feel smaller. Honestly, I think the size should fit you pretty well, assuming its not a 29er.

mtbr member
    If you're not doing super aggressive stuff (maneuvering a lot of tight rocky areas, 18" drop-offs and then real quick turns etc) you'll probably be fine. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The problem is I wanted to do aggressive stuff eventually. And the bike is great for road riding...I like my bike a little bigger for that. But I didn't know I'd want it smaller for mountain biking. I also don't want to lower my seat, I just wish the bike were a little smaller. thanks for the help guys

Fat-tired Roadie
    FWIW, I don't mess with the saddle height on my MTB myself. I don't want to stop and screw around with it.

But there's a reason mountain bikes have a quick release on the seat collar. Mark your preferred saddle heights on the seat post with a knife blade or something, so you can re-find them easily. It's a lot easier to learn technical skills with a little more room.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phazan View Post
    The problem is I wanted to do aggressive stuff eventually. And the bike is great for road riding...I like my bike a little bigger for that. But I didn't know I'd want it smaller for mountain biking. I also don't want to lower my seat, I just wish the bike were a little smaller. thanks for the help guys
    Once you start doing technical riding, look into a dropper seat post. It's not just hype and I'd never ride another bike without one. Yes I know how much they cost.

You don't want to just lower your seat to make the bike fit, that will put stress on your knees if adjusted incorrectly. I'm 5'10" so I'm kind of in between sizes, and always go for the smaller frame. I like a more nimble/BMX feel to my bike.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass