1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Woodstock 707 vs IH 2006 Warrior Pro DS yeah another one of those threads

My old Iron Horse hard tail is basically worn out and I need something new. I'm no hardcore rider or racer, just basic single track with decent amount of climbing and downhills. I don't do jumps or drops but if I ever get the balls to do them I still don't see me doing anything over a couple feet. A lot of the trails around here are covered in roots and thats why I'm leaning to a FS bike this time, plus I'd just like to try it. I'm also looking for used bikes here, craigslist, e-bay, etc but these are the two new bikes that fit into my price range.

http://www.woodstockbikes.com/707/707.htm
    Only bad things I've found about it are the front fork is a bit weak and well its ugly . The only weight I've found for it is 32lbs

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....19&category=55
    The IH
    Its about $100 cheaper once you count the free shipping which is nice, maybe enough to upgrade something? Its a single pivot so less stuff to break or maintain and has an extra inch of travel which I probably don't need. The only weight I've found listed for it is 34lbs but that was for a bigger frame. I've read some reviews that say it has a lot of peddle bob and others that say it doesn't so don't know what to think there. I'd think being a single pivot it has to be worse about it then the woodstock though but what do I know.

Most of the components look pretty even to me but I don't know much about the forks or shocks. While a lighter bike would be nice my current hardtail weighs in at 32lbs so neither of those would be a big downgrade. I can handle tuning and most maintenance myself so I'm not worried about that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

solid and other ideas

Those both look pretty solid for their prices as new bikes.

Used you should be able to get a used bike for 1/2 of what it sold for new - maybe a little more than that on EBAY since you have to pay for shipping.

I got a Full Squish bike last yr on EBAY.
    Got a HAro Sonix for around $600 bucks (+shipping) used with scratches.
    It has 5" travel - but it's a 28 LB XC bike - with a solid pedal platforom - no "bob".
    I found it new for $1100 on closeout in a local shop but glad I got the ebay one.

Ride some bikes with similar frames the Woodstock and IH - my guess is they are better for descending & drops than they are at climbing and flat land standing while pedalling.
    get a frame design to meet your needs.

Since you aren't "Komacazi" check out XC full susp bikes too.... they are better for non Komacazi type riding - lighter and better pedal platform - less energy loss (pedal bob). You can see some at - http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_suspension/

And this is a sweet bike at an awesome price - $999 http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....19&category=55

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks. E-bay/used is my first choice and I've got my eye on several right now. Most of them just go for way more then I think they are worth. Problem is almost all the bike shops around here carry nothing but cheap hardtails and road bikes and there is almost no action on craigslist so e-bay is about it. I am leaning towards lighter more XC bike if I can find one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

keep looking ...

At under $700 - not a many XC full suspensions out there - new.

What size do you need.

I found that to be true also - things selling for way too much......something that sells for $1000 new will sometimes sell for 900 used plus 50 shipping.........that's just crazy.

A trick on ebay is to watch anything you are interested in.....
    and how i got my bike - is the auction ended with no bids.
    And then I emailed the guy and made an offer that was less than his reserve bid.
    we negotiated over a couple emails and I got it.

If you find one on craigslist in another city - you can email them and ask if they would sell to you on ebay with a buy it now price - you can use paypal etc....

Tell the seller they can have a bike shop pack the bike and ship it for them - usually costs less than 60 bucks for that - including shipping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Medium 17-18. My current bike is a 19 which is a little too big. I have 57 bikes on my e-bay watch list most of which ended a while ago but I keep them on there just to keep track of what they go for in case another one pops up. The same Iron Horse rscycle is selling for $650 with free shipping is one of the active auctions I'm watching. I'm sure it will get to at least $400 and with $100 shipping it won't be worth it. Only have one on my list I really want at the moment but I'm not going to post a link to it . I have been expanding my search on craiglist but even on there it seems like most people think their 10 year old bike that was $1k brand new is still worth $800 but I'll keep looking. I'm in no hurry.