Thread: Women's Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Women's Bikes

My wife and I want to get into one of the AR races, but currently we don't have bikes. My question is this: do most women use bikes made for women or does it really matter? It looks as if there's a larger variety of men's bikes available on bikesdirect and craigslist. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonclick View Post
    My wife and I want to get into one of the AR races, but currently we don't have bikes. My question is this: do most women use bikes made for women or does it really matter? It looks as if there's a larger variety of men's bikes available on bikesdirect and craigslist. Thanks for the help.
    It won't make much difference as long as the bike fits correctly. For some women that can be the tough part though. Just depends on her body proportions etc. Women are usually shorter overall, have narrower shoulder width, smaller hands, are lighter, etc. So manufacturers usually design their WSD bikes accordingly, narrower bars, smaller diameter grips, lighter sprung forks, shorter top tubes for a given size frame, a smaller range of sizes, etc. However if the woman in question can get a proper fit on a "mens" bike it's not that big of a deal. And fit is everything when it comes to performance and comfort. The women's specific designs just give the girls a better chance for a good fit.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    You don't have to overcomplicate things. You can either search for a WSD (women's specific design) bike or get a men's bike and make a few changes. You don't need to spend a ton of cash modifying a men's bike. I would recommend a WSD saddle as that is one of the biggest differences between men's and women's bikes. You can cut the bars down a bit if they are too wide for your wife. And try to find a comfortable fit for her. This would include saddle height and forward/back adjustment, and bar placement. Bar placement might require a new stem to get her in a position that is a comfortable reach. And you might need a negative rise to lower the bars a bit for her. That will give her a great start to a comfortable ride