1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Women's Bike Recommendations

My wife has taken the jump and has decided it's time to get herself a decent bike. We've been to a few shops here in Belgium, so she has seen the line of Treks, Specialized and Scotts. She liked the new Trek WSD6500(Hard tail) and the Specialized Myka(FS), but seems to be making her choices based on appearance. I've tried to help her by answering any questions, but all seems Greek to her. She is atimately against riding a guys bike, even if it does fit better. Unfortunately, she wants me to decide for her.
    I'm looking for any suggestions for women's bikes. Most of her riding will be light trail riding, and building from there. I don't have a preference hardtail or FS, I guess my thoughts are FS would make a more comfortable ride for her, but I don't know that she cares either way. Looking to spend up to $1500-1700 mark, but I want to ensure components are decent and it is something that she will enjoy. We're living in Belgium for the next two and a half years and then back to the US, so I want to ensure she we buy her something that she can readily get parts for in the US as well.

spec4life???..smh...
    I have heard alot of good things about the spec.

Have you checked out the reveiw section. There is good info on there.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviewscrx.aspx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have checked the review section, but neither bike has been reviewed.