1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: will it work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

will it work?

I saw a marked down Deore rear derailleur at REI that I want to buy but all the available documentation I have seen about it make no mention of it being compatible with 7 speed
    systems. The box states 9 speed......

can I put a basic Deore rear derailleur on a mountain bike with 7 speeds?

thanks in advance for your input

What could go wrong ...
    derailleurs are not 7,8,9 speed, the shifters are. Yes it will work ... set the hi and lo screws and attach the cable and you are good to go
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    derailleurs are not 7,8,9 speed, the shifters are. Yes it will work ... set the hi and lo screws and attach the cable and you are good to go
    thanks,

I thought so but then I got to wondering if the jockey pulleys or parallelogram
    were somehow going to trip me up so I thought I would ask first