1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Will this be a useful upgrade in sus fork? What tools do I need?

I have a Giant Yukon. the front sus on the fork is klanking as I come off of a jump(when getting air). I want to replace it.

A. What tools do I need?

B. I was looking at a RockShox dart 3, but I don't think it is what I want, ...any suggestions?
    Last edited by JonathanD; 08-10-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    Replacing the cables and housing on your brakes/shifters feels like getting a new bike for $40.

What fork do you have now? What have you done to look into why it's "klanking"? What is your budget for a new fork? Will you use it to jump a lot?

Try starting here for some help on tools and procedures...http://www.parktool.com/repair/index.asp
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry,
    Not much jumping. Suntor(sp?) fork currently. My budget is dependent on what I need. I want lock out options, and non-spring shocks. I would like to stay under $300 and don't mind buying slightly used. I could probably swing $400 if I really need to.

Thanks for the link, I can get those tools pretty easy.
    Jonathan
    Replacing the cables and housing on your brakes/shifters feels like getting a new bike for $40.

i recently got a magura menja from bikeman(.com) for 370

light, stiff, air, adjustable and seems to compete well with the mid-level rockshoxs (reba). i like mine so far.

mtbr member
    dart 3 has no air, just a coil spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Jason. Thats why I said I don't think I want it... If I can help it.