1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Will shifters match/work with current setup

Used Cannondale Jekyll 3000SL, wife bought it for me while I was deployed. Want to ride it, but I figured it needed a tune up done by professionals. The said my shifters are shot. Don't know too much about bikes and components, other than my ride had a 3x9 drivetrain, an XT FD, an XTR RD, Coda crankset, XT hyd brakes, and the stok shifters were period XTR rapidfire's.
    So I went on Ebay on the advice of my LBS to get a good price on shifters. They didn't tell me what would and wouldn't work on my bike setup. So I bought some XTR M970 shifters, which come to find out are 9spd shifters, but they are the last XTR 9spd's before the 10spd's started to come out. LBS said it may not work with the current old school XTR RD. But they will try. Said they would call me with any problems. Something about the pull ratio on the newer shifters.
    Anyways to have a plan B if need be, what XTR RD would work with these shifters if the old school (I think its an M950 or 951) RD doesn't work? How is the CODA crankset? Mind you I haven't taken this bike on any trails yet, but I am yearning to take it out once its working properly.
    Forgive me for asking a repetitive question, but there is so much information on this site that my head is about to explode...besides I am having trouble finding this answer. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You said you have a 3x9 you bought a 9 speed shifter ,don't see a problem.If you have a 8 speed cassette ,it should still work. The 10 speed shifters have a different pull than 8 or 9 speed.If you need a different RD ,there is nothing wrong with xt or stx and they are a lot cheaper.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Will shifters match/work with current setup

Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    You said you have a 3x9 you bought a 9 speed shifter ,don't see a problem.If you have a 8 speed cassette ,it should still work. The 10 speed shifters have a different pull than 8 or 9 speed.If you need a different RD ,there is nothing wrong with xt or stx and they are a lot cheaper.
    9-sp shifters do not work with 8-sp cassettes. Period.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Will shifters match/work with current setup

Quote Originally Posted by usmceric1 View Post
    Used Cannondale Jekyll 3000SL, wife bought it for me while I was deployed. Want to ride it, but I figured it needed a tune up done by professionals. The said my shifters are shot. Don't know too much about bikes and components, other than my ride had a 3x9 drivetrain, an XT FD, an XTR RD, Coda crankset, XT hyd brakes, and the stok shifters were period XTR rapidfire's.
    So I went on Ebay on the advice of my LBS to get a good price on shifters. They didn't tell me what would and wouldn't work on my bike setup. So I bought some XTR M970 shifters, which come to find out are 9spd shifters, but they are the last XTR 9spd's before the 10spd's started to come out. LBS said it may not work with the current old school XTR RD. But they will try. Said they would call me with any problems. Something about the pull ratio on the newer shifters.
    Anyways to have a plan B if need be, what XTR RD would work with these shifters if the old school (I think its an M950 or 951) RD doesn't work? How is the CODA crankset? Mind you I haven't taken this bike on any trails yet, but I am yearning to take it out once its working properly.
    Forgive me for asking a repetitive question, but there is so much information on this site that my head is about to explode...besides I am having trouble finding this answer. Thanks
    If you bought Shimano 9-sp shifters, have a Shimano 9-sp rear derailleur (or older), and have a 9-speed cassette, it will all work fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Don't see problem with what you bought. But I will say OohRah and Semper Fi to you Jarhead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the OORAH! Yes the cassette is a 9spd. So everything should work. Tight elbows! Looking forward to going riding.

mtbr member
    Same brand and same speed will work. Thanks for your service and happy riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If you bought Shimano 9-sp shifters, have a Shimano 9-sp rear derailleur (or older), and have a 9-speed cassette, it will all work fine.

Yeah, I've never heard of any non-compatible 9 speed stuff if you stay with the same manufacturer for the shifters and derailleurs.

In general, you can mix and match front chainrings, chains and rear cogs to your heart's content across makers, but can't mix stuff that's intended for a different number of gears (though 7, 8 and 9 speed can swap chainrings and derailleurs.)

You're not going to ever want to try to run Shimano shifters with a SRAM derailleur, or vice versa. They (almost always) use a different amount of cable pull to effect a shift and don't play well together at all.

Seems really weird to me that the shop said your shifters are worn out. I have seriously abused some XTR shifters for years on end. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the one on my current trail bike has been in service for at least 10 years (and the little door that you take off to change the cable has been missing for probably 9 of those) and I've never, ever done any sort of cleaning or maintenance on it. Kind of has me scratching my head, but if the shop suggested eBay, I can't imagine they're trying to milk you. Just seems like an odd thing that the shifters would be 'worn out' and the rest of the bike would be in decent shape.

Whatever though - get it running and get out there riding. And welcome home.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.