1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here. Will the Raleigh Talus 4.0 26" 2013 Be and okay bicycle to lose weight on?

I weigh around 250 Lbs. and im looking into losing weight by cycling. I know the max limit on most bikes is 300 Lbs. and im okay with that. my problem is I search too many reviews and i cam upon one that mentioned a guy being 210 Lbs. and he could bottom the suspension fork. I dont want to just get on it and drop it all the way down. could i have some suggestions please? Here is the bike...Raleigh Men's Talus 4.0 Mountain Bike '13 @ Sun and Ski Sports...

Id like to also state that I am increasingly losing weight. But id like to make the purchase this Saturday. The shop im going to sells Fuji, Haro, and Raleigh.

I also know of a shop that sells Specialized and Trek.
    Somebody mentioned this one Raleigh Misceo 2.0 Flat Bar Urban Bike '13 @ Sun and Ski Sports for street and trail. thoughts?
    My limit is around 450.

Thanks guys!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This 29er has better drive components--Shimano Alivio/Deore. It is $420 delivered. Rolls better than a 26.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    On this bike and the bikes you list the coil spring in the Suntour fork works within a range of weight- not 250. An air fork can work for a broader range, including 250.
    The Suntour upgrade program is 189+ ship for a Raidon air fork.
    Used Rebas off ebay would work.
    A used bike with an air fork is another option.

The second listing with a ridged fork would work with your weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    And we're you saying the misceo 2.0 would work for me? The second listing. Could that bike candle light to medium trails?