1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Will my idea work?

Today my dad was feeling generous and said that I can get my new bike in late September/early October. (Has to do with passing a test) I've decided to get a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame, and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer all the parts from my completely stock Trek3900, and over time I'll upgrade. Is this possible if I get my LBS to do it.
    (since all components are the same size right?) Because the Chameleon Frame I want will be a bit bigger in size.
    BTW, to upgrade to disc brakes, all I'd have to do is get new rims that are disc compatible right?

Thanks

mtbr member
    most of your trek components will transfer over to the santa cruz. the bottom bracket, seatpost, and front deraileurs are things that might not fit the chameleon. its probably not worth putting the trek fork on the chameleon though. does the chameleon have v-brake bosses on the frame?

if you want disc brakes you will need disc hubs and disc rims. you can get a deore disc wheelset pretty cheaply. it would probably be more cost effective to get mechanical disc brakes, they usually require less maintanence and you can use your stock v-brake levers.