1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Will this fork fit?

Will this fork fit a 2014 trek X-cal 6?

Used Fox F29 RLC FIT 29er fork. G2 offset. 1-1/8 inch diameter by 7-1/2 inch long steerer tube.

Looks like I can get it cheap and I don't want to spend a ton of money because I might upgrade to a different bike soon but I don't think I can take another ride on the junk stock fork. haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Your frame has non-tapered headtube, so youŽll need a fork with straight steerer.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It is a 1 1/8" straight steerer tube... I'm pretty sure it will fit. Taking a rough measurement on my bike the 7-1/2" tube looks to be long which will be easy enough to cut down.

Any other reason it might not fit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nope, difference between cheap Suntour and Fox is going to be huge

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds good. Sounds like you're comfortable with the idea of not getting money back out of it if you move to a new bike.

Do it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Go for it.

mtbr member
    Sorry for hijacking but I don't think of these things until I m reading a similar thread.
    Can you cut a fork tube with a plumber type tubing cutter?

Question #2 Would you put a 300.00 fork on a Jamis Trail X 3.0 frame? It would be the first major upgrade. Other option is a coil over for 200.00
    Anything is better than Spongefork Gilapants.

mtbr member
    Yes

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the help.

What is a fork like that worth used in good shape?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Few hundred, I think. EBay closed listings can give you a good idea. I think they depreciate fairly similarly to a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Sorry for hijacking but I don't think of these things until I m reading a similar thread.
    Can you cut a fork tube with a plumber type tubing cutter?

Question #2 Would you put a 300.00 fork on a Jamis Trail X 3.0 frame? It would be the first major upgrade. Other option is a coil over for 200.00
    Anything is better than Spongefork Gilapants.
    As dirt devil already answered, yes, but after you do cut it you may want to file the edges down. Use a dremel if you have one. A pipe cutter pancakes the edges slightly and not only does it make it harder to slide a headset over it, but it can also get pretty sharp.

I like Jamis Trail X frame so I would, but its really up to you.

mtbr member
    Don't cut it too soon though. Ride it long if you can unless it's way too long. That way you can make sure that you have a good fit on the bike before cutting. If you cut first, ride later, you may find that you wish it was a little longer to raise the stem up a bit.

And for #2, sure, why not. Nothing wrong with improving your current bike. If/when you sell that bike, you can take the fork with you to your next bike if it doesn't have a great fork. Or sell it with the Jamis to increase the value a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    What length are they normally produced in? Seems I have been seeing 7 1/2" a lot as I scour the internet for fork deals.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Update,
    Got the fork, put it on (super easy btw) and took it for a rip tonight on a very familiar 10 mile single track loop. Started with the recommended setup and only had to add a few clicks to the low speed compression to get to my liking, for now at least. Well worth the money. It holds a line so much better and 1/4th of the way through my confidence went way up and was going down and through stuff easily that was making me pucker up pretty hard before. Maybe my favorite part is that there is no more embarrassing creaks and cracks like the front end is gonna come apart... They should put a warning sticker on a stock fork like that,,, oh wait there was. lol

Fat-tired Roadie
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Sweet. Glad it worked out for you. Can't wait to get mine.
    Ride on bro.