PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Will a BB30 fit my bike ?

Hi. Noob here.

I have tried searching before posting but Im still confused.
    I have never changed anything on a MTB before so its all new to me.
    I have a Carerra Vulcan 2009 which suits my needs but I have managed to get some nice upgrade parts. The question is will & how does it fit.
    Its an Sram X0 crank 3x10 speed bb30. I have searched that my bike has a square taper bb. Is it a question of simply removing this old bb & fitting the new bb30 or is it more complicated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    No you can't use a BB 30. Your bottom bracket shell is threaded and smaller diameter. BB 30 is a press fit, not for threaded shells, and is a bigger diameter.

mtbr member
    Difficult to find info on that bike. Was about to suggest a BB adapter, but Bike Radar indicates a SRAM S200 crankset, which implies a "power spline" square taper bottom bracket. In brief, no adapter out there that I'm aware of.

Check out this doc from SRAM re compatibility:
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....components.pdf

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for your replies. So it basically sounds like a no it cant be changed. In that case will I still be able to use the existing Suntour CW XCT chainset if I upgrade the the rear derailleur with an Sram X0 & PC 1091 chain or should I just give up any hope of making this bike better. Thanks

mtbr member
    I would not pour too much money into that bike. I can't find much info on the 2009 model but the current model is a very entry-level bike.

the PC 1091 is a 10-speed chain for 10 speed drivetrains. depending on the year of the XO rear derailleur, that's probably a 10-speed derailleur. do you have a 10-speed cassette and shifter to go with it? you will need to have all those things or none of it will work together.

if you want to improve a bike like that, put some nicer wheels and tires on it and get it tuned up. otherwise, spending money on "upgrades" is not a great investment when you could save that money for a nicer bike.

mtbr member
    Your crank can be changed. You can't use a BB30 bottom bracket however. You probably could mount an X0 crank with a threaded GXP bottom bracket.

But yeah, your old crank will probably work fine if you swap out your rear derailleur and chain. If you are also trying to change from 9 to 10 speed, you will need a new cassette also, and a new shifter to go with your new derailleur.

I don't know where you got these fancy parts, but putting a crank on a bike that is worth more than the bike is a questionable move. Its usually much better to spend the money upgrading the bike than trying to make a cheap bike nice.

edit: I see that mack_turtle was reading my mind

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    I knew it would be questioned about putting fancy parts on a basic bike but I got them for next to nothing from Amazon. I basically managed to get a set of Sram rise 40 wheels, X0 rear Derailleur,X9 front derailleur, Sram 10 speed PG 1070 cassette & pc 1091 chain, Sram X9 shifters & new tyres & the X0 3 x 10 speed chainset all for £350. I dont however feel the need to change the frame unless I cant fit the items but if its just the crank I cant fit then I will still be happy. I really appreciate your help on this.

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks smilinsteve. I found a vid on changing from square taper to GXP so looks like all my problems solved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNoJJOvLqjw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMA View Post
    Thanks smilinsteve. I found a vid on changing from square taper to GXP so looks like all my problems solved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNoJJOvLqjw
    But you need the crank to be the gxp version. If you already have the bb30 version of the crank it won't fit in the gxp bottom bracket. The spindle diameter is bigger.

mtbr member
    I think all of that will work together except the cranks because they cannot fit in any bottom bracket that will fit in your frame. A BB30 crank requires a BB30 bottom bracket and a BB30 bottom bracket will not fit in your frame.

Get a GXP crank and a GXP bottom bracket and everything should be peachy, assuming there is not something else you have left out.

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    I will look out for a GXP deal.Thanks

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    Having real problems. Took off the square taper bb & went to fit the GXP only to discover it doesnt fit, grrrrrr. The measurements are the same as the square taper 1.37 x 24. Is it possible it hasnt been manufactured correctly. It appears to be a nano out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Doesn't fit how? Sometimes it is hard to get the threads started without cross threading but eventually it will go.

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    It just wont thread on.Been trying & trying.It just seems a fractions to big.

mtbr member
    I do not mean to insult your intelligence, but you are putting the drive-side cup in the right side of the frame and the non-drive cup in the left side, right? are you using the correct tool and a torque wrench?

what specific size BB did you order? There could be BSA (English), French, and Italian standards for BB threads.

the drive (right) side up is left-hand threaded and the non-drive is right-hand threaded. if your old BB came out without too much drama, then the new one should go in just fine.

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am wondering if they have sent an Italian thread.Unfortunately nothing written on the bb itself to indicate this. It also has the clear centre piece & after a quick search I can only see that on the ceramic Italian thread.

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    No insult taken but I have done exactly as you described. The old bb threads back in nicely too so I dont think its been threaded. Neither side of the new bb fits, as I say slightly too big by feels of it.

mtbr member
    you bought an Italian thread BB then. either you screwed up and ordered the wrong thing, or they sent you the wrong one.

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ordered the correct English thread, it even states it on the box but I guess they could have put in an Italian by mistake.

mtbr member
    yup, you will have to get that corrected by the retailer then. sorry, that sucks!

PMA
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    Eureka. It does say Drive side IT so I think I can safely say its an Italian as looking at pictures of an English bb it states Drive Side BSA.
    Thanks for your help though.