mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Will the Airport TSA take my Chain Lube/Gear lube?

Im flying to Asia-Nepal. Will they take my chain lube/gear lube at the airport? I never thought to see what they have available in Kathmandu, Nepal as far as lubes. Maybe I can just get some there.
    Anyway-will they take my lubes at the airport?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just don't put them in your carry on luggage and you will be fine. I did a quick google search and surprisingly there are a few mountain bike shops in Kathmandu, that sell high end bikes/gear. Nice to see our sport popular in a third world country.

Trail Ninja
    Plan for the worst and pack spare chains. The factory lube is good stuff, which lasts 200+ miles in my experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskadude View Post
    Im flying to Asia-Nepal. Will they take my chain lube/gear lube at the airport? I never thought to see what they have available in Kathmandu, Nepal as far as lubes. Maybe I can just get some there.
    Anyway-will they take my lubes at the airport?
    If you put them in your carry on luggage they may take them. Put them in your check in luggage and you won't have any problems. Nepal is a beautiful place, have fun there
    Last edited by Max24; 03-09-2015 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Might want to put it in a plastic bag or something in case the air pressure changes cause the lube to leak. You wouldn't want lube all over your clothing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Might want to put it in a plastic bag or something in case the air pressure changes cause the lube to leak. You wouldn't want lube all over your clothing.
    This goes for all kind of lubes, not just bike lubes.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yea, the lube bottles are new, unopened. But if there are good bike shops are there, I dont think Ill bring any, Im trying to avoid bringing anything I can just go ahead and buy there.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskadude View Post
    Yea, the lube bottles are new, unopened. But if there are good bike shops are there, I dont think Ill bring any, Im trying to avoid bringing anything I can just go ahead and buy there.
    Don't regret that decision.

since 4/10/2009
    Put some in your checked luggage, in a sealed container. I had laundry detergent bottles explode all over my clothes on a transcontinental flight once when I was a teenager. Wasn't the end of the world, but was a mess and took awhile to wash out.

That way, you'll have some when you get there. Buy more if you find a shop with a good selection.

mtbr member
    Double zip-lock in your checked baggage. As small a bottle as is available. Technically, most lubes are combustible and therefore checking it could be an issue but I think a small bottle is okay. The stuff doesn't have a low flash point. No worse than after-shave or baby oil. I wouldn't count on finding the right lube Nepal.
    Happy trekking/biking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here is the TSA prohibited items list

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...s_brochure.pdf

There is a section for "non-flammable liquid/gel" limited to 3.4 ounces
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Nepal

i would not worry about taking a small amount in checked baggage, I would not count on being able to buy authentic quality goods of your choice in kathamandu.

Because of nepal's proximity to asian production centers, an excess of deal hungry tourists and extremely low per capita income. Kathamandu has become a nexus for fake outdoor goods.

You may be able to get some great values there but do not assume/ count on the goods being the same as the brand they wear.

Depending on where you are riding a dry lube might work great as this time of year things really dry out.

Where are you planning on riding?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If there flammable they take it away in checked baggage. Get some small bottles of shampoo at target the travel ones thats show 3.4 oz. Empty it out clean it well and replace with the lube. Then get a ziplock bag and your done. They wont check the contents if its under 3.4 oz. Most lubes show flammable so you need to replace the container.

because GIANT
    the answer is: maybe

by the book it cannot go. period. if the TSA is on top of things, nope.

some explosive compounds look and feel just like chain oil and behave that way, and burn with a flame, and need a blasting cap to detonate.

I'd not risk it and just get lube at your destination.

If you need to go through security twice for any reason of your own (went through security once, had to leave for something, and then go back with bags) you definitely will get taken aside for a full search (again, if they are on their game, TSA is always a crapshoot)

why risk it ? leave it home, leave tiny knives and scissors home...all that stuff, toothpaste, shampoo, bottles of anything...it is the only way to be sure.