1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    see me rollin, they hatin
    while my OTB fear is not nearly as bad as hers, having had jaw and nose surgery, i have that fear too.

This is what i did. not sure what your budget is. I also had a 120mm travel bike. i bought myself a 140mm fork. Also, i put a higher rise handlebar on there. She may like the feeling of being "stacked up" a bit more in the front. I have a short torso, so i was always feeling like i was leaning forward too much. those changes helped.
    fap

mtbr member
    We need:
    Picture of Bike
    Weight of Rider
    Model of Fork
    Current set PSI in fork
    Current settings/clicks for rebound

Without this info, everything is purely conjecture.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    We need:
    Picture of Bike
    Weight of Rider
    Model of Fork
    Current set PSI in fork
    Current settings/clicks for rebound

Without this info, everything is purely conjecture.
    Pic of the rider goes a long way as well, with the bike of course.

see me rollin, they hatin
    yes every measurement of your gf.

all of them.
    fap

mtbr member
    Remind her to drop those heels.....

mtbr member
    and wear a sports bra! Ive seen Ive seen some pretty nasty otb from awol ta ta's!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you guys are all better than me. My advice would be "lock it out, then when she goes over the bars because it's locked out give her a big "I told you so" You will be free to ride on your own and with your buddies from their on out!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what fork she has, but, i know my RS Reba has a flood gate that will blow when i get into the bigger hits. With this, i can lock it out the entire ride and it'll only use suspension if the hits are hard enough to require some travel. Really nice feature.

mtbr member
    I think parts are irrelevant here, whatever feels comfortable man! You're lucky you can get your girl to ride with you at all, mine started crying mid loop because she was too afraid :P
    Short guy on a big bike.

Fat & Single
    Shes ready for a fully rigid.... just go with the flow
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Foz View Post
    I think parts are irrelevant here, whatever feels comfortable man! You're lucky you can get your girl to ride with you at all, mine started crying mid loop because she was too afraid :P
    The quickest way to get them to no longer like riding is to set them up to fail with a bad fit, poorly adjusted fork and injuries...

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    The quickest way to get them to no longer like riding is to set them up to fail with a bad fit, poorly adjusted fork and injuries...
    Proper fit and proper equipment is key to learning and enjoying the sport. With the proper equipment always sets a excellent foundation for quicker learning and a more enjoyable ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    I found it helpful when my wife had someone other than me tell her exactly the same things I was telling her regarding fork and shock setup, riding position, etc. Somehow she believed it then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    I found it helpful when my wife had someone other than me tell her exactly the same things I was telling her regarding fork and shock setup, riding position, etc. Somehow she believed it then.
    This. Im a personal trainer. Ive eorked with couples and its amazing how they wont listen to one another but when a credible pro steps in and says the same thing its a different story. Lets face ut, your wife is scared of crashing. Its possible the rebound isnt setup properly as others mentioned but it sounds like she needs more experience too. Im a newbie and i had a lot of fear on some of the downhill stuff and it feeling like o was gonna go ass over teakettle. I went with a new frame with a slacker front end to help with this but shorter chainstays to keep the handling and climbability there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2