1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Why no 26' forum?

I like my 26'ers. I like my 29er as well, and by next year I will have a 27.5 prob. I know how companies are steering away (have completely steered away) from 26ers, but I think they still have a place in Mountain Biking. I just ordered a clearance 2011 26er with XT and Recon and I think I'll like it very much. I just feel 26ers are getting the unwanted step-child treatment, and I still like them. So why no forum?

Btw.. If there is a 26 forum and I somehow missed it, please delete this asap lol.

Redcoat
    I concur. ive ridden 27.5s and 29ers, still prefer 26er over all of them. Think there should be a 26er section.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm relatively new to this forum and therefore don't know for sure but back when 26ers were the norm and 29ers were a new thing all the forums were probably about 26ers therefore a dedicated 29er forum was required. Now that bikes seem to have slipped into three distinct wheel sizes a dedicated 26er forum is probably appropriate too.

AZ
    banned
    Vintage, Retro and Classic. That's where Dinosaurs, fossils and 26ers are discussed.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The 26er dominated MTBR forums, since 1998. Today, it's archived information...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Probably because that would be a huge tire.

In all seriousness it is probably because that was the standard for so long that it was not considered a novelty like the others when they were first released.

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Vintage, Retro and Classic. That's where Dinosaurs, fossils and 26ers are discussed.
    what a complete misconception on reality...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    what a complete misconception on reality...

What a complete lack of sense of humor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think everybody should fight about tire size for a while lol..

But seriously, 26ers are fun. I don't want to not talk about them after a good ride or wtevr. I have one on the way I'm really, really excited about.

mtbr member
    26ers? I thought they banned those unstable train wrecks.

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    26ers? I thought they banned those unstable train wrecks.
    yes having lower centres of gravity definitely makes things more unstable... wait a sec, elementary physics...

mtbr member

Re: Why no 26' forum?

I've never seen a 26 foot bike wheel. I have, however, seen an 18 inch stonehenge.

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt View Post
    Probably because that would be a huge tire.
    I agree, 26 foot does seem a little over the top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    yes having lower centres of gravity definitely makes things more unstable... wait a sec, elementary physics...
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  7.3 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It would be an interesting forum.. Would it be people talking about the glory days? Would it inspire new dedication to a few decent 26er lines from companies that have given up on them? People trading used bikes? IDK. I would post in it though. Does it make me a bad person thinking both 29ers and 26ers have +'s and -'s and are worth riding? I think it's weird that a company like Kona does not have a single decent 26 inch wheeled bike this year, we should have a forum dedicated to b*tching about it lol

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by STACK View Post
    It would be an interesting forum.. Would it be people talking about the glory days? Would it inspire new dedication to a few decent 26er lines from companies that have given up on them? People trading used bikes? IDK. I would post in it though. Does it make me a bad person thinking both 29ers and 26ers have +'s and -'s and are worth riding? I think it's weird that a company like Kona does not have a single decent 26 inch wheeled bike this year, we should have a forum dedicated to b*tching about it lol
    Seriously. I only have a 26er. Last week, I needed tires. I couldn't find a local bike shop anywhere near me that actually had more than 1 model of 26" tire.

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have like 4 extra.. I'd give you one if I could.. Although I'm convinced at least two of them have little nails I can't find because of the way tubes have popped in them

local trails rider
    With the constantly changing fashions in wheel sizes, they are just waiting for the time when manufacturers have saturated the demand for 29", 27.5", 28.3", 27" 25.3" and 36" wheeled bikes.

Then they can get back to 26" as the new 26.7".

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member

I have like 4 extra.. I'd give you one if I could.. Although I'm convinced at least two of them have little nails I can't find because of the way tubes have popped in them
    That's what tubeless is for. I got 2 tires for $30 each on pricepoint. So much for supporting the lbs on this one.

--
    Stephen

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    I think it'd be great, they can call the sub-forum 'Grizzled old f*cks' for all I care...

I still wish there was an 'other wheel sizes' forum too. No one likes to get super twitchy steering and rad possibilities with 24" wheels anymore?

Oh yeah, and where do the lucky bastards with 36ers post now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    "Grizzled old f*cks"/"26er forum".. Tomayto/tomato..

T.W.O.
    Why no 26er forum?

This whole thing is about 26er unless specify in the sub-forum. What more can you ask for Regardless of how many people who raves about 29ers majority of the bikes on the trails are still 26ers. Unlike, riser VS flat bars or clipless VS flats, 26er would not be replaced for a 29er anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Why no 26' forum?
    Do we really need another forum thats filled with questions about components that arent wheel size specific?

Id ban them all if I could.. ALL OF THEM! bah Humbug

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Why no 26er forum?

This whole thing is about 26er unless specify in the sub-forum. What more can you ask for Regardless of how many people who raves about 29ers majority of the bikes on the trails are still 26ers. Unlike, riser VS flat bars or clipless VS flats, 26er would not be replaced for a 29er anytime soon.
    I'd like to agree with you, but can you get a 26' Rockhopper? How about a Kona? What's the 26' Kona for this year?? I just tried out my new 29er and my feet kept hitting the front tire. I think I still like 26ers.

T.W.O.
    I'd like to agree with you, but can you get a 26' Rockhopper? How about a Kona? What's the 26' Kona for this year?? I just tried out my new 29er and my feet kept hitting the front tire. I think I still like 26ers.
    Well I can't say I'm sad about spech and kona not offering 26 HT but at the end of the day there are other good companies that offer 26er. I owned 29ers both HT and FS, while I think it's good, it's hardly ground breaking, just another flavor. I found that 650b is more useful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast