1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Why Mountain biking is > than road biking.

To be fair I have only dabbled a little in both sports and I have just gotten back into mountain biking recently but here are my thoughts why Mtb is far better recreational activity than road biking. It's only my opinion of course so no offence to any roadies reading this.

1. You don't have to share the trails with cars!
    2. Riding trails requires focus and concentration and doesn't get boring or monotonous on a long straight stretch of road.
    3. Being in the woods or hills you are often sheltered from the wind meaning you rarely get stuck grinding into a tough headwind on said boring, monotonous straight.
    4. The bush canopy often provides shade on hot sunny days.
    5. Sitting on a road bike seems to mainly be leg and cardiovascular exercise whereas Mtb is much more of a total body workout as you need your upper body to throw the bike around the trails.
    6. Did I mention that you don't have to share the trails with cars?

Seriously I have been enjoying the Mtb so much I had considered dusting off / tuning up the old road bike but in the past fortnight about 4 cyclists have been killed on NZ roads One of them was a woman on vacation in my town. Put me right off. I would still ride roads for commuting purposes but for sport, recreation and exercise I don't want to share the open highways with cars doing 100kmh.

The old road bike is staying put in the basement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    To be fair I have only dabbled a little in both sports and I have just gotten back into mountain biking recently but here are my thoughts why Mtb is far better recreational activity than road biking. It's only my opinion of course so no offence to any roadies reading this.

1. You don't have to share the trails with cars!
    2. Riding trails requires focus and concentration and doesn't get boring or monotonous on a long straight stretch of road.
    3. Being in the woods or hills you are often sheltered from the wind meaning you rarely get stuck grinding into a tough headwind on said boring, monotonous straight.
    4. The bush canopy often provides shade on hot sunny days.
    5. Sitting on a road bike seems to mainly be leg and cardiovascular exercise whereas Mtb is much more of a total body workout as you need your upper body to throw the bike around the trails.
    6. Did I mention that you don't have to share the trails with cars?

Seriously I have been enjoying the Mtb so much I had considered dusting off / tuning up the old road bike but in the past fortnight about 4 cyclists have been killed on NZ roads One of them was a woman on vacation in my town. Put me right off. I would still ride roads for commuting purposes but for sport, recreation and exercise I don't want to share the open highways with cars doing 100kmh.

The old road bike is staying put in the basement.
    Great point!

You missed one though.......Aren't road riders a little more snooty? Just sayin'

I think MTB'ers are the best kind of people, for the most part.

I mean, MTB'ers can spend some mean change on a bike, but won't be snooty about it.

JMO......

mtbr member

Furthermore!

And to add to your point....a Tree may take you out, but it wasn't maliciouse intent by the tree!

mtbr member
    Im a roadie first and Im not "snooty" I fear cars about as much as I fear 2' drops on trails. To each their own.

The one advantage the roadie has is he doesnt have to "take" his bike to a ride he can ride it there.

mtbr member

Right on...

Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post
    Im a roadie first and Im not "snooty" I fear cars about as much as I fear 2' drops on trails. To each their own.

The one advantage the roadie has is he doesnt have to "take" his bike to a ride he can ride it there.
    Maybe I have had some bad luck with roadies......

Did not mean to offend you (If I did...)

Good point on having to "Take your bike."

It's amazing how we look at things in life....sometimes a simple saying will open your eyes.....always learning we are...

mtbr member
    No not offended just offering light hearted $.02

I get what people mean when they talk about roadies being snobish. I know that when I show up for an event ride by myself I will probably be finishing the event by myself. Although I am always open to conversation when out riding not everyone else is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    7. The scenery and surroundings are generally much nicer on a Mtb ride.

8. Mtb bikes with their suspension forks, fat tires and frame geometry are generally way more comfortable than sitting on a razor thin sliver of a bike where you feel every bump from the smallest imperfection in the road.

9. You don't see half as many lycra clad posers!

Probably drunk right now

How to spot a noob...

1. They disparage other types of cyclists.

News flash: To non-cyclists, we all look like dorks.

I ride all types of bikes. I like riding different bikes for different reasons.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigperk View Post
    And to add to your point....a Tree may take you out, but it wasn't maliciouse intent by the tree!
    You never know. There are some trees that I think its their goal in life to have malicious intent. It grows the branch or limb in just the right way that it hits you. And then laughs as you ride by and whack into it.

And don't even get me started on rose bushes. Those things reach out to you from ten feet away on the lawn mower.
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    do whatever you like. There are definitely pros and cons to each.

mtbr member
    I'm also in NZ and I have recently started riding. I would never even consider riding on the roads around where I live as cyclists do get hit/injured/killed on a very regular basis. Being a driver first and foremost, I also don't agree with some of the "practices" of our road-based friends. Riding 2/3/4 abreast on a heavy traffic road is a good way to p-off motorists and get yourself killed. You take the risk, you take the consequences.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post

I know what you mean but I am lucky enough to live in an area where I only have to ride about 10 minutes from home to the trails. When I used to live in the city I preferred jumping on the roadbike and doing a local road ride. Putting the bike on the back of the car and driving an hour or more to the trails wasn't really my idea of fun. There are some rides I do where I take the bike on the car to some nice trails but the majority of my rides are straight from home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post

Lighten up Francis. I'm just giving reasons why I like Mtb better. Not disparaging anyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post
    You never know. There are some trees that I think its their goal in life to have malicious intent. It grows the branch or limb in just the right way that it hits you. And then laughs as you ride by and whack into it.

And don't even get me started on rose bushes. Those things reach out to you from ten feet away on the lawn mower.
    LOL - yeah some of the trails I ride have wicked rose thorns extending across the trail. I sometimes think I should carry a pair of garden secateurs in the Camelbak and take bikers revenge on those mofos!

reading comprehension wat
    Why road biking is greater than than mountain biking.

To be fair I have only dabbled a little in both sports and I have just gotten back into mountain biking recently but here are my thoughts why rb is far better recreational activity than mountain biking. It's only my opinion of course so no offence to any mountainies reading this.

1. You don't have to share a little narrow dirt path with hikers, horses, other bikes, and traffic going in the opposite direction! Who the F designed this,
    2. Riding roads requires focus and vigilance and doesn't get boring due to long hikes up stretches you cannot ride up and due to needing to look out for shitty drivers and obstacles on the road.
    3. Being in the woods or hills you are often isolated from society with hunters maybe mistaking your movement for prey, deer looking to run you down, lions desperately looking for a meal which has been diminished due to their habitat being invaded, and being isolated from civilization also means you have no one to rely on to get help in a prompt manner when said hunters, deer, lions, or other "natural" causes take you out, or maybe when your bike breaks down.
    4. The bush canopy often blocks cooling breezes on hot sunny days.
    5. Sitting on a mountain bike seems to mainly be forearm, and glutes/jaw exercises, clenching and death gripping like a mofo, whereas rb is much more of a total body workout as you need your upper body to tuck into that extreme aero position.
    6. Did I mention that you don't have to share a road with cars? See 7 and 8.
    7. The hot babes in bikinis on the boardwalk by the beach always stare at me when I roll through in my team issue lycra kits.
    8. The cougars at the park and bike paths are greater than > than the cougars in the mountains.
    9. There are no Starbucks or McDonalds on the trail.
    10. What's suspension for and how do you service/maintain it?

JK! JK!
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    LOL LOL

mtbr member
    May 2012
    To be fair I have only dabbled a little in both sports and I have just gotten back into mountain biking recently but here are my thoughts why Mtb is far better recreational activity than road biking. It's only my opinion of course so no offence to any roadies reading this.....

I do both. I will say I prefer Mtn biking to road biking, but I don't expect the same experience from them. My road bike gets used mostly during the week after work on short time crunched rides. My longest road bike ride has been 1:45 min because I don't have much more time. My shortest Mtn bike has been 1:30 min. Despite have trails close if I only have time for a quick spin the road bike gets used. If I have time for nice ride the mtn bike goes out.

Cars do concern me on road bike and that is on reason my road bike routes tend to be limited to areas with lower traffic and wider bike lanes. There are some really nice roads I would never ride due to narrow shoulder, blind turns and number drivers with big trucks pulling horse trailers that probably will knock me off the road.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ..8. Mtb bikes with their suspension forks, fat tires and frame geometry are generally way more comfortable than sitting on a razor thin sliver of a bike where you feel every bump from the smallest imperfection in the road.
    I dispute that.... Of course I ride hardtail so maybe that is it, but one thing I love about the road bike is how smooth it is and how effortless it is to ride. It is a far cry from the mtn bike which forces me to work hard for every mile. I enjoy the hardwork on the mtn bike, but I like contrast to smoothness of the road bike. I like razor thin sliver of bike feeling and the ability to climb up hills at 15 mph.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    10 Reason why MTBing is better the road riding
    1. I have to agree with OP no cars
    2. I can wear baggy shorts and be comfortable
    3. There are no restaurants and coffee shops I am out riding
    4. fresh air no exhaust fumes choking my airway off
    5.get to see some wildlife
    6. full body work out, sorry roadie but tucking in requires jack effort
    7. not boring like road riding, have done some long road rides BORRIING!
    8.If I crash I get up dust myself off and continue on, road crash, pray to god my 12 lbs bike survives, walk back the last 20 yards and pick up my skin that the asphalt tore from my bones, if I was wearing lycra I am probably now naked and bleeding. oh yeah this is supposed to be fun.
    9.its very quiet and relaxing, no horns blaring, people telling me to get off the Fing road
    10. its not road riding LOL
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member

Oh ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post

So I'm a Noob........so what...

Noob's have opinions too.....

BTW....I'm a Noob to this forum, not the sport. I've been riding a Bike for many, many years.....

mtbr member
    Lighten up Francis. I'm just giving reasons why I like Mtb better. Not disparaging anyone.
    Lol.....Classic!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post

I couldn't agree more. There have been times on the trail that I would swear that a tree or limb pops out of nowhere in your path.

I ride both mountain and road and there are plenty of times I will choose the road bike for an after work ride if I don't have time to load my bike up and drive out to the trails or pedal the 8 miles or so to the trailhead. There are going to be snooty riders on all types of bikes, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    8. The cougars at the park and bike paths are greater than > than the cougars in the mountains.
    I don't know, dude. Either could end up eating you.
    :wq

mtbr member

more......

local trails rider
    Mountain biking is more Mountain Biking than Road Biking.

... on the other hand

Road biking is more Road Biking than Mountain Biking.

... Sometimes I ride on the road just because the place I want to visit is too far for going there by the trails, but the road ride is just a cruise on the country roads.

(I don't Take my MTB to the trails either. I pick a direction, hit the first piece of trail at the end of the street, maybe ride a path or street a while if it goes to the next piece of singletrack, etc.)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast