1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Why go with wire bead tires?

What is the purpose of wire bead tires? I bought a Kenda Navegal wire bead and it worked just as good as folding tire but was a pain in the butt to mount.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
    What is the purpose of wire bead tires? I bought a Kenda Navegal wire bead and it worked just as good as folding tire but was a pain in the butt to mount.
    They are cheaper.

Mostly, the bead type has little affect on ease of mounting.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Kevlar is lighter, doesn't stretch, and will still be round after folding. So they are easier to ship and store. Also, kevlar bead tires are generally higher quality these days. I tend to burn out rear tire so I found a cheap kenda steel bead tire that I like and is cheap to replace. My front tire is kevlar and more expensive, but I change the front every 2 or 3 times I change the back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    they are cheaper and heavier. cheaper being the bigger point as they can get more for folding beed tires since they are lighter. The lighter the weight and better the quality the more expensive
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    wire bead is 1/2 the price of a folding tire, not even that bad to mount if u use soapy water on the rim..they just pop in

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just pop in didn't work for me and no amount of soap helped when I installed a Navegale. It almost snapped my plastic tire tool so had to use two screwdrivers to get the last part in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    damn.. i installed a new front couple weeks ago, did even need tire irons, in/out by hand... maybe just a harder compound? its cool, changing tires is only once a year or so

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    They are cheaper.

Mostly, the bead type has little affect on ease of mounting.
    That may be true today, if rims are more consistent from one mfg to another (probably the same factory in China), but there was a time when putting wire beaded tires on some rims were so bad they would break levers. I have some Mt Titan rims that I would never ever consider mounting a wire beaded tire.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
    Just pop in didn't work for me and no amount of soap helped when I installed a Navegale. It almost snapped my plastic tire tool so had to use two screwdrivers to get the last part in.
    That is certainly due to your mounting technique...

I can and have mounted many wire bead tires without tools...(and folding bead)..

Probably not getting the beads properly into the center channel of the rim..

Wire Beads are heavier, cheaper, and have lasted longer for me...

Even if not made for tubeless they often inflate easier than tubeless or made for tubeless tires in a tubelesws set up.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Kevlar is lighter, doesn't stretch,

The modulus of elasticity for Kevlar threads is 16 x10^6 psi.

The modulus of elasticity for steel is 29 x 10^6 psi...

So steel stretches a little more than half of what Kevlar does.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I mean over time, not elasticity.

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    That may be true today, if rims are more consistent from one mfg to another (probably the same factory in China), but there was a time when putting wire beaded tires on some rims were so bad they would break levers. I have some Mt Titan rims that I would never ever consider mounting a wire beaded tire.

John
    And I have had folding bead tires that "fit" the same way. There is still a wide range of ease of fit in rims and tires.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I mean over time, not elasticity.

No. Over time (after being mounted) a folding bead tire will generally fit looser than a wire bead tire.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have plenty of flabby beaded steel bead tires laying around to say otherwise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    And I have had folding bead tires that "fit" the same way. There is still a wide range of ease of fit in rims and tires.
    shiggy, you are the foremost authority on tires and rims. When I was able to pick up a nearly new set of old Mt Titans pretty cheap, it was your posts on wide tires and narrow rims that was invaluable, even down to using strapping tape. Thanks!

John

PS... I can't find 1/2" wide so I cut a wider roll down, dermal and utility knife, to make narrower rolls. They are a little ugly, but they work.
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Steel bead tires are cheaper with only a few exceptions. Usually the casing is cheaper and less supple and the rubber while maybe longer lasting is hard and as grippy as a hockey puck. In other words, steel bead tires are cheap and crappy.