1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    More durable, lighter weight, feels great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by johnluke View Post
    Advantage : To be progressive. Flip side: How have tubes failed you? The only advantage I know of with tubeless over tubes w/sealant is that you can run lower tire pressures without worrying about pinch flats. Not impressed/ Don't care about tubeless.
    I recently moved to tubeless on my full slushy after riding slime type tubes from a variety of manufacturers for many years. I don't what it is, but the tubes have been using recently have failed to seal even the smallest pin type holes. I got a flat using a brand new slime tube on the first ride after installation from a thorn type of puncture - a hole that in previous times would have sealed right up. I used to be able to pull 15 goatheads out of tire equipped with a slime tube with no discernible loss of pressure. Not any more. This is what finally pushed my to give tubeless a try. So far so good.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6