mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Whistler/Bike question!

Hi! I bought my first _real_ bike about two weeks ago. It's a 2004 Devinci Hucker .

I am new to the whole freeride/downhill thing; but I'd like to go up to whistler(bike park!) sometime in July. Do you think I should take this bike, or rent a full susp?

What skills and techniques would you suggest that I practice to be prepared for riding the bike park at whistler?

THANKS!!

also, is it true that Whistler ONLY allows DH/FR bikes? NO XC? I ask because my friend has an Iron Horse (Warrior Disc) from SportChek and he wants to come up as well.

Thanks

There's no app for this.

get some

serious armour, Whistler is very challenging. Your friend can ride XC trails up there, there are many...any bike store has maps. Visit Whistler's site for lots and lots of info. Take your bike, don't rent.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    serious armour, Whistler is very challenging. Your friend can ride XC trails up there, there are many...any bike store has maps. Visit Whistler's site for lots and lots of info. Take your bike, don't rent.

Jim

Thanks Jim, but can he ride the bike park with me? I want a buddy to ride with :P

There's no app for this.

He can

ride the park with an XC bike but it won't be easy. 1st, take him down "B" line trail. Golden Triangle is another. His skill level will determine what you do next. Make sure you wear lots of armour if you're new...that's when you need it most. The trails have level of difficulty well marked.

Many of the drops and high speed trails are too much for most on their 1st day, take some time to learn the park.

check out www.peterfagerlin.com, and download his Whistler video...it's 2 years old but you'll get a real sense of what to expect.

have fun, Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    ride the park with an XC bike but it won't be easy. 1st, take him down "B" line trail. Golden Triangle is another. His skill level will determine what you do next. Make sure you wear lots of armour if you're new...that's when you need it most. The trails have level of difficulty well marked.

Many of the drops and high speed trails are too much for most on their 1st day, take some time to learn the park.

check out www.peterfagerlin.com, and download his Whistler video...it's 2 years old but you'll get a real sense of what to expect.

have fun, Jim
    Awesome website! We're working on doing small drops now; I think we can handle 2 footers fine now, but it'll be some time until we can take on an 8 foot drop. Thanks very much JimC for the helpful tips, I just got a full face helmet, gloves, and I just ordered myself some knee/shin pads! I've raced up at whistler about 10 years ago for the 1994 (or was it 1995) catcus cup when I was about 12 years old; but I haven't been riding much after that since my bike was stolen I bet the trails are much different now :O Really looking forward to this trip!