1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Weekend Warrior
    Jul 2008

Where to look/buy used?

Hello all,

First post, yay.

I'm looking to purchase a used Cannondale Carbon (rush or scalpel, not sure which is right yet), but I'm having trouble finding many. I've found a few on craigslist, ebay is overpriced, and the classifieds here are good, but there still aren't many.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    keep your eye on ebay...i got my santa cruz brand new for half of retail (after a few weeks of ebay stalking)...otherwise try to check craigslist from surrounding cities (whatever distance youd be willing to drive to get a good deal)...also mtbr classifieds...there may also be a local club (here in Charlotte NC, theres the tarheeltrailblazers) and they have a local marketplace post (similar to mtbr) on their website...

thats where ive gotten most of my good deals...good luck...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    some LBS have bulletin boards, try checking those

Weekend Warrior
    Jul 2008
    Checking craigslist, haven't found any locals yet, thanks for the advice!

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them" - Mitch Hedburg