1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

New question here. Where to buy wheelsets from?

What are some of the best places to order wheelsets from?

I would like to get a new 26" wheel with mounts for a disk rotor.

Also is the Avid BB7 a good choice for a mechanical disk break? This one seems to be a very popular choice. If not, what would recommend in the same price range?

This would be for my commuter single speed.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Best covers a wide area,price, selection ,quality. If all you are useing for is commuting go to e-bay or amazon and look for something cheep. BB7 are a very good brake ,more thah enough for a commuter.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Best covers a wide area,price, selection ,quality. If all you are useing for is commuting go to e-bay or amazon and look for something cheep. BB7 are a very good brake ,more thah enough for a commuter.
    Thanks! I've been looking at Amazon. I want a good price/quality ratio and sealed user maintainable bearings.

I really just need the front wheel as my frame does not have tabs for a rear disk break.

I would like to spend less than $150 for both the wheel and BB7 break. I think this should be possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does your frame have disc brake mounts?

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wheel World a .com with a store in Culver City (LA Ca. area). They have a lot of "take offs", I got some Alex rims w/ shimano hubs (standard quick release) that were V-brake and disc compatible for a little over $100 for the pair. This was a couple of years ago but they always have a good selection at all pricepoints, oh, yeah also look at pricepoint.com

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Thanks! I've been looking at Amazon. I want a good price/quality ratio and sealed user maintainable bearings.

I really just need the front wheel as my frame does not have tabs for a rear disk break.

I would like to spend less than $150 for both the wheel and BB7 break. I think this should be possible.
    A BB7 brake costs around $50. For the wheel, some online retailers might charge crazy shipping fees because it is an oversize item, so consider that in your budget. I know JensonUSA runs a deal where all orders over $50 get free shipping, but I don't know if that applies to oversize items or not. Do you live in So Cal by chance? You can pick it up in their store for no shipping charges.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    try pinkbike

banned
    Sep 2012
    I snagged these Vuelta Zerolite Pro off ebay for super duper cheap. It looks decent for something that cost me < $100.

Pics of me opening it and checking out the wheels. I put it on the other bike I'm building, tubeless setup with Stan's Yellow Tape (easy job, didn't need to anything special at all).

-S

mtbr member
    Don't discount finding a local bike shop with a good wheelbuilder. It doesn't cost as much as you think and you can use more budget type parts in the build. If you find a good one, they can recommend exactly what parts to make a killer set of wheels for your particular need/riding style etc. On the brakes (not breaks) question, BB7s are great, rode them on my rigid SS for several years and still think they stopped every bit as good as my hydros. Plus, they are so easy to work on. Downside is they are heavy. Do yourself a favor and pair them with some Speed Dial levers.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    shibiwan you sure are pic whorin that wheel set out

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    shibiwan you sure are pic whorin that wheel set out
    I'm "recycling" LOL

-S

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In my experience wheels don't get classed as oversize items - only complete bikes - I just got a wheelset built and airfreighted internationally by fedex, as the hubs I wanted were not available locally (3 month estimated delivery) - the shipping cost was $40, didn't think that was too bad - until the b'stards hit me up for 7% sales tax on total invoice value this end - but that's a different matter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I will second your LBS as the place to get your wheels from.

Sure it may work out to be a bit more expensive in the end but, when you think about the other sides of the story it add up to be a better deal in my opinion.

A lot of people dont realize that sometimes, just having to pay for shipping alone will make it cheaper if not the same price to buy from your LBS. And when you buy wheels for example, especially nice ones some shops will true them for free (especially wheels they build) or will give you deals on parts. The more you buy from a shop the more likely they will be to give you discounts, and some shops will give you a discount on everything you buy there because you buy/bought bikes from them. Now for the best part, if you ever have problems with anything you buy from them they will help you out. Try buying some shinny new wheels online and geting warranty service from a LBS...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvpr View Post
    I will second your LBS as the place to get your wheels from.

Sure it may work out to be a bit more expensive in the end but, when you think about the other sides of the story it add up to be a better deal in my opinion.

A lot of people dont realize that sometimes, just having to pay for shipping alone will make it cheaper if not the same price to buy from your LBS. And when you buy wheels for example, especially nice ones some shops will true them for free (especially wheels they build) or will give you deals on parts. The more you buy from a shop the more likely they will be to give you discounts, and some shops will give you a discount on everything you buy there because you buy/bought bikes from them. Now for the best part, if you ever have problems with anything you buy from them they will help you out. Try buying some shinny new wheels online and geting warranty service from a LBS...
    I would agree and I generally do use a local builder, they are very useful to keep in business- but if you are after something specific - sometimes the online wheelbuilders are your only option if the rims / hubs / drillings you want are not available locally. I used wheelbuilder.com and I have to say I was very impressed with the service, shipping and quality.

Apologies to the TS - this is kind of digressing a bit from his request

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    I would agree and I generally do use a local builder, they are very useful to keep in business- but if you are after something specific - sometimes the online wheelbuilders are your only option if the rims / hubs / drillings you want are not available locally.

Good point, it is hard for the smaller bike shops to carry the more one off parts. But I am sure that 9 times out of 10 they would be more than happy to order you something. Which barring any weird delays, would probably work out to be the same timeline as ordering online.

EDIT: - OP

The BB7's are probably one of/ if not the best mechanical brakes available.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all of the advice! I will continue to keep my eyes open for good deals, and hope to have my project completely finished by the time the snow and ice melts here. For now I will probably finish my project with my old front brakes and wheel just to see how it looks and rides with the new fork.

mtbr member
    I used my LBS and was completely satisfied with his product. I never knew he built wheels till I asked him about them. I got what I wanted and learned a few things in the process.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

Go Bruins!
    You can get wheels in a lot of places for $100 +/- a few dollars. Try Handspun Products like this one and look for deals on Jenson or price point for the bb7 brakes at less than $50 for the front. Bicycle wheel warehouse might have a deal kicking around for you for a single wheel as well. Might be worth contacting them.
    Last edited by ooctrl; 01-03-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: for grammar and comprehension
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    I snagged these Vuelta Zerolite Pro off ebay for super duper cheap. It looks decent for something that cost me < $100.

Pics of me opening it and checking out the wheels. I put it on the other bike I'm building, tubeless setup with Stan's Yellow Tape (easy job, didn't need to anything special at all).

-S
    You got so excited about opening the rims you took your pants off? I would have done the same thing. lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have bought a fair number of wheels like those vueltas, amazon, eBay, and Craigslist wheels. They were all great until they went out of true or started breaking spokes after 4/5k miles. I decided to try bicycle wheel warehouse online.
    I paid $400 for a ~1600 gram wheel set 24/28 spoke ultegra hubs to blackset race rims. Approaching 8k miles I haven't had to true them yet.
    With a lower spec build I think you could get a great front wheel within your budget.