1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

When to replace tires??

I have around 450 miles on my bike and noticed the tires are starting to wear. When is a good time to replace them? Should it be a once a year thing or a mileage thing or should I just go by the tread on them?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think ,correct me if I'm wrong , 50% centerline tred loss and/or loss of side knobbies.
    ps.aviod skidding .Can lead to premiture wear...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wear out the rears pretty quick, no hard and fast rule, generally I get pissed of at the lack of traction, and get a new one.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Musichead13
    I have around 450 miles on my bike and noticed the tires are starting to wear. When is a good time to replace them? Should it be a once a year thing or a mileage thing or should I just go by the tread on them?
    When you have to ask, it's time to replace.

Tires are cheap enough and the feeling of new tires is always great and it's way safer to keep yourself wrapped up in only the best rubber

more carbon=more awesome
    Most riders end up with a bunch of different tires for different tracks or conditions. I will put really badly worn tires on my bike if all I want from them is to roll fast. If I want cornering grip, I generally use a newish set. You will wear out the rear center treads faster, but if cash is an issue, then swap them around and wear out the other one. Unlike a car, riding on worn tires isn't much of a safety issue. Tires are a bit like undies. Some like boxers and some like briefs. Buy a new set if you want to try out different handling characteristics. I read the review section here before buying something new. Just remember you get some very extreme opinions on this site, so go with the majority opinion.
    Good luck
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

backwoods and backwards
    Replace your tires any time you have an extra $50.Actually, when you notice a decline in performance,or any damage in the sidewall it's time for new shoes. Expect 2:1 rear/front.