1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    on the path most traveled

when to replace sealant for tubeless set-up

I've read that it's probably a good idea to replace the sealant around once a year. It's been about that long for the sealant in my tires, but I feel like my situation is special and unique. I've only ridden it a handful of times over the past year, and I keep it stored indoors on a carpeted floor. Do the conventional rules about sealant replacement still apply to me in this case?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    All I can tell you is from my own experience, for what it's worth; I have only used Stan's sealant. In the past and I changed the sealant every six months. But as time goes by I have been going longer between sealant changes. This last time I have been running the same sealant for a second season. Going on a full year now. I may be pushing it but I don't care. I get tired at my old age with the sealant change proceedure and if I take to LBS, it cost me bucks that could go towards up grades on my bike. So, if you don't mind the risk of a bead blow out or no liquid left to fill a new pucture, then go longer between changes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Around here the sealant dries up in a couple of months.Dried sealant = flats ,sealant is there to prevent flats.Stan's has a injector for the vavle stem ,remove the vavle core ,put in the sealant takes a minute. I use a old small plastic glue bottle that squirt into the vavle stem.

Trail Prospector
    ^^^ This +1 using Stan's.
    Would rather add sealant every few months than to flat, and install a tube.
    Last tire I swapped over, had no flats, but found 8 thorns. If on trail all must be removed B4 installing a tube to avoid hike-a-bike time.
    Yes, occasionally, you may find one of these..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

I guess this means I'm gonna have to add new sealant. But, from what I've read, I have to scrape out the old sealant first. Is that what you guys do?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    I guess this means I'm gonna have to add new sealant. But, from what I've read, I have to scrape out the old sealant first. Is that what you guys do?
    Absolutely. Otherwise, it will build up over time.

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    Not sure about the others, but I never have.
    Just pop one bead, remove any big boogers, re-add sealant, re-seat, and rock it till it's dead. When I swap tires, will rinse the sealant off with a hose, and scrub clean the rim and bead before mounting. In doing this, haven't had any issues seating a tire prior used tubeless.

Unpredictable
    I have always removed the residual coating of dry sealant by peeling it off. Not sure if any water that has got in or contact with dry sealant would make the new slime go off faster. I do mine 3 monthly or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Not sure about the others, but I never have.
    Just pop one bead, remove any big boogers, re-add sealant, re-seat, and rock it till it's dead. When I swap tires, will rinse the sealant off with a hose, and scrub clean the rim and bead before mounting. In doing this, haven't had any issues seating a tire prior used tubeless.
    I'd have to guess that this is a practical system for you because you go through tires more often than most cyclists. So, you're already swapping out the tires before the build-up of sealant layers becomes problematic. Is that not correct?

Trail Prospector
    Yes, for me, going tubeless has been great. Go-to ride has many thorns, and I used to flat often- now not at all.

No, probably not, just a bit of a tire-ho. Switch 'em around when worn, torn, or wanting to try something new. Sidewall tears have been an issue on the lighter big-volume tires.