1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

when do u wear full protection gear?

im just wondering about it.....

There's no app for this.

Just use

common sense; on the Norshore, nobody rides without total coverage. The saying here is "dress for the crash, not the ride".

Put another way, no-one ever needs a seat belt fastened, until they are in a crash. Then you better have it on. Same applies for biking.

So envision, or learn typical crashes in your area, and dress for those. Hopefully it'll never happen, but if it does, you're going to suffer a slight bruising instead of loss of teeth, skin, and pride.

Good luck, Jim

(just headed out the door for the 'shore: FF Giro, Dainese Safety jacket, Roach FR leg armour, high top 5-10's to protect ankles from cranks, and fingers crossed.).

Rod
    I don't wear it, but I'm just a cross country rider. If I was going to be attempting tricks or something more dangerous I would definitely recommend it. If you're not comfortable on a bike then it may be necessary.

Double-metric mtb man
    I ride a bit more on the agressive XC / light AM side of things. If I'm out for just a "normal" ride, I'll stick with just my gloves, glasses and helmet. If I am even remotely considering something more serious, on go the arm and leg armor. Don't have a chest protector yet, but if I upgrade to a more aggressive AM rig from my more XC oriented ride, it'll be on my list.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by tjishikawa
    im just wondering about it.....
    Now that I'm in a long term monogamous relationship, I don't worry about that kind of thing anymore.
    We all get it in the end.

Flying Goat
    almost always... unless i'm going for an xc ride or mild urban ride...

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    In my area (Annadel in Northern California) I've heard too many stories of people "just riding along" and crashing, and even though they are wearing a helmet, having major facial injuries. A buddy of mine now has 7 (?) Ti plates in his face, and his eye rides on teflon bushings. I heard of a guy breaking his jaw... the list goes on. Even though the ride is "just" XC, does not mean that the rocks that don't move care. Any time you hit those rocks, something is going to happen. I'm still deciding on leg and forearm armor, but wear my full face helmet, even when it's hot out. Gloves are a big thing to have as well. My wife crashed the other day, again just riding along. Lucky for her, the head impact was on the helmet, but if it was 1 inch lower, it would have been her cheek. She also still has bruises on her arms & legs. This was on flat gravel fire road, but off on the side were rocks hiding in the grass (where she landed).

Better to be safe & hot I sure don't want to spend time in the hospital.

Clay

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    While i don't wear a helmet while i'm doing easy trails i know: i.e. have no major rocks/stumps/logs/roots lying around, i always wear a helmet if i don't know where i'm riding or if it's more than just a little rocky. One of my good family friends was killed while riding without a helmet just from hitting a rock at a bad angle going down a hill :-/....needless to say it's better to be safe than sorry

Arnold
    Apr 2007
    Just use common sense and don't attempt anything that looks dangerous and you're not sure whether you can nail it. Don't rely too much on your safety gear.