1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

When buying a new frame, do i need a new headset?

Im looking to buy a new frame to replace my old broken one. If i am switchinbg over all the parts to my new frame without havinf to buy much, what will i need to buy? Most importantly, will i need a new headset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Same frame? If so the parts should switch over with new only because of wear or upgrade. Do the maintenance of course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Same frame? If so the parts should switch over with new only because of wear or upgrade. Do the maintenance of course.
    It's a different frame. Not the same model.

mtbr member
    need to have a bunch more detail on the old and the new in order to offer assistance...a couple pictures of each would also help
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    need to have much more detail on the old and the new in order to offer assistance...a couple pictures of each would also help
    I can't take pictures of the bike because it is not at my house atm. My bike that is own right now is a 2003 diamondback xsl. The diamondback's frame is broken, therefor I need a new frame. I am not sure what kind of frame I will get right now. I would like to strip down the diamondback and switch all the parts to a new fame which I have not purchased yet. I am unsure of what headset I have now. I need to know if I could take off the headset from my diamondback and put it on to a new frame. I will be using the same fork. I would also like to know what parts are not interchangeable between bikes.

mtbr member
    if you don't know what frame you are looking to purchase, it will not be possible to give a accurate answer...unless you back into it, and match your current headset with a compatible new frame. There are a lot of other components off the old one that will need to be researched to determine if they too will swap without too many "oops"...in a perfect world it certainly can be done, but you really are going to have to do your homework. You may consider getting you LBS involved too
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm looking at a 2012 giant anthem x1 with 26 wheels. Who'll my headset match that one?

mtbr member
    I'd probably replace the headset anyways. You can get a decent headset for not a lot of money...something like a Cane Creek 40, and I'd bet it'll be much better than the headset from a bike from 2003.

But to answer your question, yes...you need a new headset. The new bike has a tapered headtube. The old frame does not. The old headset won't work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ill take pictures of the bike and headset. I'll post within an hour or two. I think there might be a new headset on there. The bike has mostly new parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The headset said cane creek aheadset. Tell me if you need anymore information

mtbr member
    No more info needed. The Diamondback has a straight headtube. The Giant has a tapered headtube. You cannot use the headset from the Diamondback with the Giant frame. It won't fit. You need a new headset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    No more info needed. The Diamondback has a straight headtube. The Giant has a tapered headtube. You cannot use the headset from the Diamondback with the Giant frame. It won't fit. You need a new headset.
    ok thanks

mtbr member
    Are you reusing the fork from the Diamondback? If so, keep that in mind when you get a new headset. You'll need the bottom cup of the headset to accept a 1 1/8" steerer since it isn't a tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes I am and thanks for the tip. I'll also need to buy a new seatpost correct?

mtbr member
    Yeah. Diamondback is 27.2 and the Giant is 30.9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed like a good place to ask.
    I am currently riding a canyon frx flashzone (https://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/ar...tml?o=A1031850) and I'm looking to buy a new frame since this one is a bit damaged. I'd really like a TR450 (Transition Bikes TR450 Frame 2013 - Freeborn.co.uk) but I'm having a bit of a problem with finding out which components will move over. I assume most things will fit but I don't really know about the bb, rear dropout and headset measurements.. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Yeah. Diamondback is 27.2 and the Giant is 30.9.
    Let's not forget the bottom bracket (press fit on the giant) and the front mech clamp will be different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by faceplant72 View Post
    Let's not forget the bottom bracket (press fit on the giant) and the front mech clamp will be different.
    This is ending up to be a lot more complicated then I wanted. What kind of frames should I look for that I will not have to buy tons of parts?

mtbr member
    It's really hard to say. Frames are so different between brand, models, and years. Perhaps look at another Diamondback, same model if they are still available. But even then, there's a good chance stuff has been changed some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Idea!

It's really hard to say. Frames are so different between brand, models, and years. Perhaps look at another Diamondback, same model if they are still available. But even then, there's a good chance stuff has been changed some.
    They are discontinued and I also want a much better bike. What else would I need to get if I purchased the giant?

mtbr member
    Looks like:

- Headset
    - Seatpost
    - Bottom bracket if one not included with new frame. Giant is a press fit. Diamondback is a 68mm threaded.
    - Crankset
    - Possibly front derailleur

That should be it.
    Wheels, saddle, fork (with proper headset), handlebars, shifters, brakes should all switch over.
    Last edited by Nubster; 06-16-2014 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looks like:

- Headset
    - Seatpost
    - Bottom bracket if one not included with new frame. Giant is a press fit. Diamondback is a 68mm threaded.
    - Crankset

That should be it.
    Wheels, saddle, fork (with proper headset), handlebars, shifters, brakes should all switch over.
    so basicly the most important and expensive parts will have to be bought seperately. if i am looking to spend under $600 it is going to be difficult to buy a decent full suspension frame.

mtbr member
    maybe new bike time...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hc720 View Post
    so basicly the most important and expensive parts will have to be bought seperately. if i am looking to spend under $600 it is going to be difficult to buy a decent full suspension frame.
    With some careful shopping you can get all that stuff for way less than $600. Of does $600 include the frame? If so, yeah, it'll be hard/impossible. You're looking at probably $300+ for the stuff you need not including the frame. The crankset being the most expensive part. I'd figure out exactly what you need and start looking at ebay for used parts.

mtbr member
    Here is the point at which you step back and take a good look at what you have. Meaning, what is condition of all your old parts. Are the chainrings worn, fork needs a rebuild or replace, shifters don't shift so well, hubs are rough, etc.? You need to take into account if those parts are even worth switching over to any frame.

I've done a few of these older swaps lately and there are so many things that happen that it is never is just replacing a few components if you are not going to the same or nearly identical frame.

So you get the new frame and find that the fork steerer tube is 1/4" too short, what a bummer, gotta get a new fork. No one has even mentioned the rear suspension, so you might as well throw that in as it probably won't bolt in. You already know about the crank. And then the front derailleur doesn't work because it is too small. Now you are ready to finish up and even the stupid the cable housings are too short.

If you really want to do this, or have to due to funds, first get yourself a cheap digital caliper (Harbor Freight $20) and measure the inside/outside of the seat tube, inside and length of the head tube, the width of the bottom bracket. Go find a good used frame that is identical or as close to the one you have that will let you move everything over.

As has been suggested if you have the funds, and your old parts are pretty worn, I'd look for a new bike.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast