1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Flying Goat

When Buying Bikes online

Hi, I'm just curious as to what tools will you need when buying bikes online to fix them up. I'm really tempted at Ibex bikes... Just might be my second bike at the end of the year...

There's no app for this.

This Ibex thing is turning into a curse...

Flying Goat
    Thanx for the link... So Ibex doesnt ship their bikes dealer ready? What about if i order from Randal Scott? Those Ironhorses look pretty tempting as well... and again, the ibex link didnt say what tools would be required... hmmm... Sorry if i'm asking noob questions, i'm just so confused... haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    IBEX sends you everything you need to assemble the bike. Now, you're not going to get a torque wrench and Park quality tools, but you can do it with what they send. I did. Overall, you just need some allen wrenches and a pedal wrench. You'll also need a shock pump to set up the fork/rear shock, but you'll want one of these anyway.

Flying Goat
    ooohhh, wow, thats really nice of ibex. So le0p, how do you find your ibex bike compared to other bikes in it's price range?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What other bikes in it's price range? The component spec and build quality are excellent. It feels so solid and smooth you'd think it costs 1000$ more. If you check the IBEX forum, I've written a little about my initial experiences with it. I am still working on getting it properly set up so I expect an even better ride once I get it back from the LBS this week. I had to order a new rear shock spring because the one it comes with is too heavy for my weight and I upgraded the front fork (mostly because I needed a fork for another bike and decided to trickle down the stock Zone fork).

I don't regret the purchase one bit, in fact, I regret not doing it sooner. I actually put my Stumpjumper up for sale because I've been having so much fun riding the IBEX that it's my first choice when heading out to ride and I don't have the time ride both.

They're good bikes at a great price, I don't think you could go wrong. Sure, you don't have an LBS behind you, but it's not like they won't work on it. And even though you might get charged where you wouldn't have if you bought it locally, with all the money you saved you can afford it.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by le0p
    What other bikes in it's price range? The component spec and build quality are excellent. It feels so solid and smooth you'd think it costs 1000$ more. If you check the IBEX forum, I've written a little about my initial experiences with it. I am still working on getting it properly set up so I expect an even better ride once I get it back from the LBS this week. I had to order a new rear shock spring because the one it comes with is too heavy for my weight and I upgraded the front fork (mostly because I needed a fork for another bike and decided to trickle down the stock Zone fork).

I don't regret the purchase one bit, in fact, I regret not doing it sooner. I actually put my Stumpjumper up for sale because I've been having so much fun riding the IBEX that it's my first choice when heading out to ride and I don't have the time ride both.

They're good bikes at a great price, I don't think you could go wrong. Sure, you don't have an LBS behind you, but it's not like they won't work on it. And even though you might get charged where you wouldn't have if you bought it locally, with all the money you saved you can afford it.
    thanx for the tip le0p... i'm seriously considering an ibex now... hehehe. Maybe by the end of this year...

mtbr member
    i'm also a happy ibex owner. i've had mine for about a year and a half now. buying an ibex has been nothing but a positive experiance. at first i wasnt sure about buying online but you just cant beat ibex's prices so i just had to go for it and buy one.

when you get your ibex it is pretty much already put together, they just have them slightly disassembled so that they fit in the shipping box. i think all you have to do is put the front wheel on, put the bars in the stem and flip the stem around and put the pedals on. all the assembly is really easy. they include a multitool with the bike but its a good ideal to buy some basic bike tools. the only things that you really need are a shock pump (my shock came with no air in it) and a tire pump.

as far as quality goes ibex bikes are comparable to any of the bikes made buy most major manufacturers except ibex bikes have better components.

There's no app for this.

Ibex curse again...

Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    Thanx for the link... So Ibex doesnt ship their bikes dealer ready? What about if i order from Randal Scott? Those Ironhorses look pretty tempting as well... and again, the ibex link didnt say what tools would be required... hmmm... Sorry if i'm asking noob questions, i'm just so confused... haha.
    Ibex tools? Did you read the very first sentence?

IBEX bicycles come with tools needed for assembly.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    Ibex tools? Did you read the very first sentence?

IBEX bicycles come with tools needed for assembly.
    Hay JimC looking for a nice Ibex bike?

Freshly Fujified

Dealer ready

I'm pretty sure that most of the online vendors send you a bike that is dealer ready. Whether it's Randall Scott, Ibex, Woodstock, Kinley or another vendor, my guess is that they all come just the way the LBS gets them, which is partially assembled. You will need to put on the pedals, align the fork with the stem, and do other minor assembly. All bolts should be inspected and tightened and you should turn the bike over (if you don't have a repair stand) and spin the wheels to see if they are true. The real work begins when you have to dial in the drivetrain, and (potentially) the brakes. This can be tedious at best, and absolutley maddening at worst.

It can be time consuming if the mock up at the fatory was ill-prepared. Bottom line, it's something you need to buy into when you make this type of purchase. It's definitely not for everyone, but for those comfortable with wrenching, it's well worth the money saved.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

There's no app for this.

Why yes I am!

how didja know?
    But 1st, which one is better and why, do I need flat or riser bars, what should I upgrade the day after I get it, and can you name 14 bikes with similar or exact geometry/feel?

Oh, and I need it now 'cause I want to buy a bike today.

Jim

ride hard take risks
    There is a prototype in the works, you would be a great test pilot! The bars have a adjust knob that can change the bars from flat to riser in 2 minutes & to convert back to flat you pull a pin & wham they go flat. First thing to replace is the battery for the pedals they have a AAA battery i suggest a 9V last longer & pedals faster also the thingamahump it always seems to flop the wrong way & oh ya the cornnut in the rear wheel will notch quickly so get the upgrade oh ya i almost forgot the the brake cockle needs to be torqued to 655lbs not 300lbs. As for bikes that are simalar the MewokYouwak, Butterupagainst & Hangerwanger are 3 i know there is mor but i might need to get more beer to figure it out.

No prob getting it today they can air lift it to you, Crow Air is real fast!!