1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008

When to buy a bike???

When is the best and worst times of the year to purchase a MTB? What months have the tendency for sales and closeouts? When is a good deal likely to be sold out from the factory?
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Pre- and Post-seasons. All the online retailers just had their major sales, and most local shops will sell that season's bikes near the end of fall, or early spring if they still have leftover inventory.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    The LBS by me had a lot of closeouts in January and February.

mtbr member
    If your looking to buy a bike now, your looking a raise in price and lowering of component quality. At the shop I work at, we are starting to get all the new 09's. The weird thing is they raised all the prices of the 08's.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scralatchtica824
    If your looking to buy a bike now, your looking a raise in price and lowering of component quality. At the shop I work at, we are starting to get all the new 09's. The weird thing is they raised all the prices of the 08's.
    So why would that do that? Is it because of demand for the summer season? What 09 brands are you getting in now?
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The value of the US dollar has been sliding off a cliff in recent years. Hence, higher prices for imports.

Having bought a bike last year, I noticed big price increases for 08s, with few or no upgrades - especially the big names. I'm not surprised at midyear price increases for 08s, given the continued decline of the dollar during the year. I'm surprised that Forge and some of the others have been able to hold the line on their prices.

I imagine the price increases will continue until the dollar strengthens.

I hate sugar sand.
    Nov 2007
    Buy someone's used bike after Xmas. Or, if buying new, I've heard that the end of summer is a good time to get a deal.

mtbr member
    Check eBay, Craigslist or Mtbr Classifieds.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scralatchtica824
    Check eBay, Craigslist or Mtbr Classifieds.
    I'm sticken to the new stuff, don't need someone else's probs.

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    then spend 3times as much

i just got my kona stinky for 800 bucks.
    perfect condition

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by balling
    then spend 3times as much

i just got my kona stinky for 800 bucks.
    perfect condition
    I figured that's gonna be the case. It's been a while since I've had a bike and I'd like to support a good LBS in hopes they'll help me too.

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    i did that on my first bike

then i learned **** that

Buy your parts from them, if they are the same prices
    have them do the labor you are too lazy to do
    buy your gear from them
    buy that last minute stuff

thats what i do now.
    im not paying more than i need to for hte bike

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by balling
    i did that on my first bike

then i learned **** that

Buy your parts from them, if they are the same prices
    have them do the labor you are too lazy to do
    buy your gear from them
    buy that last minute stuff

thats what i do now.
    im not paying more than i need to for hte bike
    well ya, they don't have shopping carts for a reason.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Timing for the best discounts on the mid- and high-priced models can be tricky. There probably aren't a ton of the popular models sitting on the floor, and then it's a crapshoot whether the size you need is going to be available.

Like with cheap clothing on discount websites, it's no coincidence the best prices are on the XS and XXL in oddball colors.

There is an outfit in Reno called Bicycle Bananas that runs a website listing overstock that might be two or three years old. I've found a couple of good deals there.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    All new Trek's, Specialized and Giants.

mtbr member
    Depending on how long you can wait I find the best time of year to buy is just after Chirstmas.

It is the middle of winter so sales are slow and everyone buys new bikes before Christmas (as presents) so sales are extra slow. Bike shops may not advertise cheaper prices at this time but more often than not you can talk them down a fair bit. Wait until early January and you should be able to get a good deal.