1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Is this wheelset upgrade worth it?

Hey everyone,
    After many years of road riding, I am finally getting off the blacktop!
    My bike is a Cannondale Flash 3, with the stock Maddux 3.0 disc wheelset.
    Those wheels seem fine to me now, but would I notice any or much difference if I replaced them with a set of Mavic Crosstrail wheels or something similar?
    Other suggestions, or should I just ride the Maddux wheels?
    If I were going to replace them, I thought this might be the time while they are still new and I could sell them easier on eBay.
    Many thanks for your advice!
    Ride safe,
    Redline

Fat-tired Roadie
    Good luck selling the OEM wheels.

If you replaced them with system wheels, you'd notice that finding replacement spokes is a pain in the ass, the freehub is expensive, and your wallet is lighter.

If you replaced them with nice built wheels, you could probably still take quite a lot of weight off, probably even more from the rim, and you could find replacement spokes at any shop. Freehub availability would depend on the specific hub you chose, so it could be just as bad, but at least you get to make a choice about it.

Either way, you're likely to feel a subtle difference in handling. IME, if you've clocked yourself on some of your local rides, that time's not going to change, or at least not by a statistically significant amount.

If you're riding the stock tires, you'll see a much bigger difference choosing a tread pattern that's right for you and your trails, and getting those tires in the high thread-count, kevlar-beaded version. Get some lightweight tubes while you're at it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx