1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Which Wheelset is better Quality

Mavic 719 with Deore XT hubs or Mavic Crossrides? Both have 15mm QA thru axles. I want to use the better quality for mountain and use the other for around town.
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think that the Deore XT hub has a better design, and that having 32 spokes and cross-three is a better design.

Dunno about quality. Shimano makes nice stuff, and Mavic rims are nice. No idea who makes their hubs, and the construction of the wheel is a big part of quality too. But I'd say that if the person who built the 719/XT wheel did a good job, it's probably better on both quality and design.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. The Mavic 719/xt came with my GT Force 1.0 so im not sure who actually builds them. The Crossrides come build from Mavic so im not sure about those either. They are both sealed bearings but not sure what about anything else, not that i would know what to look for anyway.
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I didn't think that Shimano did sealed bearing hubs. Can you tell me which hub, exactly it is? It should be labeled on the shell. Something like HB-M788, but the last two numbers will probably be different.

Check out the tension on the spokes on both sets of wheels. All the spokes on each side of each wheel should have the same tension as each other, and they should all have relatively high tension. You won't hurt anything squeezing pairs of spokes. There are some other ways to do this too.

More than you ever wanted to know about building wheels.
    Wheelbuilding

What's important is that if spokes lose tension during service, they get fatigued really fast and fail, and if they don't match up well in terms of tension, sooner or later the wheel will go out of true. As the spokes have to have more and more different amounts of tension to hold the rim true, things get less and less stable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Shimano XT hubs are still the loose bearing types... Shimano likes these "tried and true" design on their hubs.

The Mavic's are 2 pawl design for the hubs.... if you break a spoke. their straight-pull bladed may be harder to find & replace.

banned
    Jul 2012
    On my personal point of view; the crossride did well for me compared to XT.

mtbr member
    I friend of mine just got some 26" cross rides to use with his V-brakes. Anyway I looked at them close and found plastic in the hubs. I am running old mavic 517 and XT hubs (2003 vintage). I am not sure I like these new wheels.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    looks like another mixed bag. Haven't had the XTs for very long but nothing has happened yet, so i think ill stick with them for mountain and see how the crossrides do on the street?

Anyone have their mavics tubeless with stans? how is that working out for you?

On another note: what age does something become "Vintage"
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    Vintage can be old or it can be used in conjuction with a year to denote when something was made. For example wine has vintage based on when the grapes were harvested they started making the wine. Good wine is never sold in the year it is harvested so it taked about in as 2005 vintage. That was made with grapes harvested in 2005 even if 2012 is first year the wine is sold.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    I think it depends some on the type of bike.

For mountain bikes, I think mid- to late-'90s is old enough. Once everything's to V-brakes and shipping with a suspension fork, that's just old.

Road bikes, early '90s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I friend of mine just got some 26" cross rides to use with his V-brakes. Anyway I looked at them close and found plastic in the hubs. I am running old mavic 517 and XT hubs (2003 vintage). I am not sure I like these new wheels.
    I examined the crossride hub. The plastic appears to be just a dust cover or something like that. Nothing mechanical. The spokes on the rim are flat wide and are almost impossible to flex. I went to the website and they seem to be packed with features but i dont know if it wil handle jumps and hard riding. I dont really want to test them out only to have to change everything back the way that it was.
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

mtbr member
    So i assemble the Mavic crosstrails today and took them for a ten mile ride. Those will be my road wheels. they worked great. I also made both sets tubeless. That was a bi#@%!! Played hell trying to get them to stop bleeding but once i did. OMG they are awesome. I through all 10 tubes with HOLES away. I got about 15 punctures on that 10 mile run with not leaks. yeah!!!
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Both very quality sets.....hard to really really differentiate.....xt/mavic comparison...

ill add this:

I have found that Im happier with the crossride UB wheels as i have come to find them to be stronger! im thinking because of the added strength in the rim being a rim brake rim, paired with a disc hub, allowing to use either or......

i run a mtn bike mullet style (disc front wheel, V-brake rear wheel) and went Mavic Cross ride UB so i can have the same wheels front and rear - matching set.

I then have a full suspension that's disc front and rear, but found mavic crossride disc wheels to be weaker...

I went to Mavic Crossride UB wheels on that full suspension bike and they seem stronger...

just my input..
    -J

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Still not sure however, I kept the xts for mountain. No problems so far. Very easy to breakdown and clean as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!