1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Wheelset

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Wheelset

am looking to upgrade my wheelset i currently have WTB fx28 with shimano deore hubs. my question is do i upgrade the hubs or the whole wheelset, i want something lighter and better. Any suggestions ????

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It might be easier and cheaper to replace the wheels .You might not be able to reuse the spokes or nipples.Where to lose the weight ,the farther out the better. What kind of riding are you doing? What's the budget?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Whole wheelset. The hubs are the expensive part and a lot of the time the spokes from an old wheel will have to be scrapped when a different hub is installed.

I got some wheels from bicyclewheelwarehouse.com a while ago. Good prices and workmanship. If you haven't already done it, get fancy tubes and tires while you're at it. IMHO, wheels are an overrated upgrade. Just less bad than replacing a functional derailleur with a more expensive derailleur.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

The Fastest of Bananas
    Very true. Tires, saddle, and fitment parts are the best money to spend. Wheels are next on my list, as I like certain rims to run low pressure.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well i do mostly rocky off road terrain. I already upgraded to tubeless and Michelin tires and I have XT drivetrain

So what are some good wheelsets for like around $300 (i weight 200lbs)????

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You are not going to get a new light wheel set for 300$. A wheel maybe ,or used .Look on ebay ,here or pinkbike.

mtbr member

Re: Wheelset

Check out the hope/stans wheels here

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/wheels-c-117.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ok thanks

mtbr member
    Crosslake use to sell new Deore XT wheelsets for $199.99 on Ebay, which is a pretty nice set of wheels. Since so many people were buying them (including me), they raised the price to $250.00. At that price, its still not horrible deal.