1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Wheel tension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Wheel tension.

I just picked up a NOS 2011 Marin Hawk Hill with WTB DX23 wheels. I'm just returning to the sport so I can't tell you much about them other than whats on the stickers and their website. My question is this. The first test ride I took I drove off a curb and it sounded horrible. I stopped and checked tension on the spokes and some feel much looser others. From my other research, wheels need some stress relief, but how long should I wait before I have them checked our or try to tension them myself. I don't really want to throw money after it, but I don't want a catastrophic failure either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you hear the spokes sounding while riding, they're problably too loose, is a good idea to tension it before it buckle. Grap a spoke wrench and gently tighten the nipples them up to the point where they become hard to turn and at which point the spokes should stay nice and firm but should still be able to move a little bit when you squeeze the pair together. Also make sure to fine tune it until its nice and true

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If new take it back to the shop service techs for a check. No cost to you.