1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Wheel set upgrade for $250-350.

Looking for replacement wheelset recommendations. I do 50% of my riding on pavement, and 50% on very tight packed trails (no drops, and very smooth). This being said they do not have to be really durable, my main concern is light-weight. Saving weight is my main concern. Being that I run a more road specific tire I use high air pressures, which rules out tubeless wheels, or tubeless mods. (probably couldn't by them at this price anyway) My current brakes are six-bold disk. I appreciate any and all advice on this matter. My current wheels are Alex SCE-17, 32-hole, they are 26".

Hi There!
    I don't know how much your current wheels weigh, but I can't imagine you would find any that were much lighter at that price point.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You don't think a noticeable difference could be made for this price point?

T.W.O.
    It's a waste of money if you are riding on paved road and smooth fire road to upgrade the wheel. You can convert your current wheelset to tubeless now using Stan's Notube for example and would still benefit of the weight reduction. There's no rule against running high pressure on TL setup. Go to the website and check it out. The conversion is about $50 for the sets and 45mins-2hr to do the job and some small learning curve.

You should be able to drop 150-250g from not using tubes and already accounted for the sealant solution. When you said road specific tires, do you mean road tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes sir michellin rock country 1.75's

T.W.O.
    Well for one you can get a fatter tire(relatively) at the same or lighter weight than your current tires.

Lighter wheel at that pricepoint like thegweed said it's not noticeable. For that price you can certainly want fatter, stronger, better looks, may be even higher engagement but not really lighter weight. Up a few hundreds then the choices really opens up. If you want lighter weight I'd say start with the tires first, there's no point spending almost 1k to save 400g on a wheelset and blow it on the heavy tires and tubes.

Here's a list of tires and weights I found that may be beneficial.
    Maxxlite 310's 26x1.95 (310g)
    Maxxis Larsen TT 1.90 eXC (375g)
    Kenda Small Block 8 1.95"(420g)
    Continental Race king supersonic 2.0 (430g)
    Maxxis Larsen TT 1.90 (435g)
    Kenda Short tracker 1.95"(435g)
    Kenda Kozmik Lite 2 2.00 (455g)
    Continental Race king supersonic 2.2 (470g)
    Maxxis Larsen TT 2.00 eXC (500g)
    Kenda Small Block 8 2.1"(520g)
    Kenda K-rad 1.95(600g)
    Schwalbe Table Top 26x2.25F(603g)
    Kenda Small Block 8 2.35"(671)
    Kenda npj kevlar 2.1 26" (697g)
    Maxxis HolyRoller 26x2.2 (709g)
    Maxxis HolyRoller 2.4" (858g)

mtbr member
    Check out used wheelsets on ebay. If you are patient you can probably find a really good deal.

Merendon Junkie
    I bought a set of shimano xt wheels 26" on amazon for little bit less than $350.

I saved like .4 lbs total (just on wheels, no tires) over the stock wheelset that came on my camber which I really dont think is that much, but they feel noticeably stiffer, look cooler, and are tubeless ready.

Amazon.com: Shimano Deore XT WH-M775 MTB Wheelset 26" UST 9mm: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: SHIMANO DEORE XT WH-M778 26" Mtb Wheelset Clincher / Tubeless 15mm Through: Sports & Outdoors

Would these not be an improvement?

Redcoat
    Add an extra 50 bucks to that budget and get these Easton EA90 XC UST 26" Wheel 2012 > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop over 50% off. I just got them, took a pound and half (1.4) off my wheel weight and the difference is defo noticeable. Plus they look real cool as a bonus.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There's no rule against running high pressure on TL setup.
    there is an upper psi limit recommended and this is backed up by some user's experience on here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I picked up some WTB i23's laced to xt hubs on ebay for less than $300 shipped. I'm digging em, will eventually convert them to tubeless.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffguy View Post
    I picked up some WTB i23's laced to xt hubs on ebay for less than $300 shipped. I'm digging em, will eventually convert them to tubeless.
    see, this is where it gets subjective and i think OP needs to find out what his wheels weigh, if he hasn't already and the reason i say that is that someone just posted in another thread that the i23's were heavy.

Your thoughts and opinions, please.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffguy View Post
    The 29" are even heavier.
    They are heavy:
    1040g Front
    1235g Rear