1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Wheel Problems

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Wheel Problems

Hi,

I have a Trek 3700. I tried to take the chain guard off the wheel and took off the quick disconnect bar.

Of course, I can't remember which way they went back on - I did it in this order -

Quick connect handle - Spring - Nut (which attachs to the axle) - Circle Bit (inside rubber/plastic case) then wheel bearing

On the otherside - End nut - Spring and axle.

I followed the manual I downloaded - I tightened the wheel finger tight and then pulled the handle down.

The wheel spins very easy without being tightened, but if its only fingure tight the wheel doesn't spin very well....

Can you help me please.... I shouldn't have pulled the wheel apart, or the DVD, Fridge, TV etc...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The quick release parts are nut, spring ,spring ,lever. Any chance that you tightened the axle nuts? The way to use a quick release is to havw the lever half way open ,tighten the nut finger snug ,close lever.Go the Park Tools, or Sheldon Brown for more info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks,

Yeah, I tightened the axle nuts... I think I broke the bearings. I opened them and the balls fell out, so I put them back in and replaced the axle. I can't open the nut on the lever side anymore... its on too tight. The nut on the otherside opens though.

I'm an idiot...