mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wheel Measurements?

So, I'm looking at some new wheels, and I'm wondering what the second measurement listed represents. For example - I've seen Sun Rhyno Lites at 26x1.5, 26x1.75, 26x.2.0 - - I'm wondering what the second number represents. At first I was thinking it meant that was the width of the tire that is recommended; but then that just doesn't sound right to me. Are rims available in different widths? If I look at WTB's website, it states a standard width of 27mm wide - which is only just over 1"? So what is the second dimension that is listed from various wheel builders?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    thats not a typical way to measure a rim.. no idea what they're doing there. what sites are listing them like that?

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmc43
    26x1.5, 26x1.75, 26x.2.0
    Sounds more like TIRE sizes.... not wheel sizes

Generally, a rim is what it is (with few exceptions). There are a couple of different versions of the rhyno lite (regular 26, XL 26, and a 24), but each style is one size (AFAIK), not available in various widths.

OTOH, some manufacturers will recommend a certain range of tire sizes (widths) based on the width of their rims. DH rims will be wider and accommodate wider tires, whereas XC rims will be narrower (lighter) and accommodate rubber better for XC. It is not an exact science, as most regular rims will fit a wide variety of tires pretty well.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I thought it was a little strange - but just trying to find the best deal on either the WTB FX 28 wheels or Rhyno Lites - and when you scour the internet for the best deals, sometimes the lesser known online dealers, amazon, and ebay have some strange listings...
    Anyway - thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0