1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

What's on your pre-ride bike checklist?

Every ride, I do a quick once-over on the bike -- tire pressure, chain, brakes, spokes, quick releases.

Last night, I got to walk out of the woods because of a new one -- left crank arm came off. Bolt was gone.

I guess I'll add it to my once-over.

It's all about the FSR!
    Petty much the same as your list.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Picture Unrelated
    My pre ride checklist usually consists of "oops I forgot _____, hope that doesn't ruin my ride".

I always try and make sure my chain is lubed and my tires are up to pressure. I'll usually squeeze the brakes at some point loading the bikes onto the rack simply out of habit so I'll usually find if they're messed up somehow. My bike has thru-axles and I don't take the wheels off except to service things but I would add in a QR check if I had them.

I wouldn't bother checking crank bolts every ride unless you have a known issue but I would put the bike in the stand (or "stand") and check all the nuts and bolts every few rides. I usually try and do that once a month. If there's nothing wrong with the cranks, a monthly torquing will keep them tight and attached.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    1. Make sure the zipper on my pack is closed.
    2. Make sure the zipper on my pack is closed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Every ride, I do a quick once-over on the bike -- tire pressure, chain, brakes, spokes, quick releases.

Last night, I got to walk out of the woods because of a new one -- left crank arm came off. Bolt was gone.

I guess I'll add it to my once-over.

I pretty much check over the whole bike, pressure in the tires (fork and shock if air sprung, I do this by simply double checking sag and adding air if needed), headset (and anything else that has bearings for play roughness), stem bolts, brakes, levers, shifting, pedals, chain, cassette, chainrings, cranks, derailleurs (for both adjustment and damage), qr's, bolts, or TA for wheel security, spokes (checking for loose ones), pretty much anything that can come loose, and check the frame for cracks, damage, etc. This really isn't my pre-ride list, it's my post ride that I do during cleaning. I clean the bike and check everything after each ride. That way it's ready for the next ride. If it's a night ride or late when I get home, I'll do it the next day. That way the only thing necessary before the next ride is tire pressure, and wheel attachment.

For my commuter bike it's a bit different, it gets ridden almost daily so issues will announce them selves in plenty of time to correct them usually. But I run through the above about once a week, or more often in crappy weather.

But you are right, crank bolts should be part of your list. But I would recommend that it be done post ride. As I said earlier, then the bike is ready for the next ride. Finding out about a problem a few hours, or even a day if it's a major problem, before a ride, can pretty much ruin the ride unless you have spares available or it's something that is easily correctable.

Yeah you're tired, dirty, and want a shower, a beer and to relax. But keep in mind the old Calvary adage, "The horse, the saddle, the man. There was a good reason for that order of maintenance. Rider er hard and put er away wet, and she may well not be ready the next time you need her!

Just my 2 cents.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder View Post
    1. Make sure the zipper on my pack is closed.
    2. Make sure the zipper on my pack is closed.
    Ha ha, that's on your list too, it's on top of mine

mtbr member
    I jokingly call it my "pre-flight check".

Check and adjust pressure in tires.
    Check and adjust pressure in fork.
    Wipe down stanchions.
    Wipe down chain.
    Check brake functionality.
    Reset bike computer.
    Go!
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Fat-tired Roadie
    If it's been a week or so, top up the tires and fork pressure.
    Squeeze the brakes and rock the bike. Anything weird?
    Do I have my helmet, gloves, shoes, jersey, some power bars and gels, enough water, my tools?
    Let's roll...
    I also like to have a snack for when I finish, a towel, and a complete change of clothes. Sometimes I forget, or don't want to postpone my trip for shopping.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx