1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

What's your favorite light flat pedal??

Recovering from a very bad road crash, I am now mountain biking and really am not ready to clip back in. I ride single track, rooty trails but do no drops, jumps or stuff like that. Mainly just getting exercise and having fun. Like to get a decent flat pedal for this kind of use which is under 300 gm. The ones I have on now are pigs. I've seen pictures of the Well-go WR-1 and MG-1's but really would like to know how regular folk like them and/or other pedals. thanks all.

mtbr member
    Love my MG-1s. HAve them on several bikes and no issues. I use 5.10 shoes for super grip.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    +1 for the MG-1's. Have them with titanium spindles and they come in at 299g. Stylish, strong, light, and perform very well,.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Specialized Lo Pro Mag
    Wellgo MG-1
    And one other that I always forget the name of. They have super sweet and light pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are you all referring to the Wellgo MG-1 or the Weyless MG-1?
    I'm also on the lookout for new flat pedals, as mine has taken way to many hits and has started a knocking sound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the wellgo mg1's are about 365 grams for the pair, and they're really cheap. i dont think you're going to find a comparable pedal for the price.. most sub 300 gram pedals get real expensive.. paying 3x the price for 65 grams doesnt make sense to me.

mtbr member
    May 2008

5.1 shoe?

Not familiar with a 5.1 shoe. Who is it made by and what makes it diffrent from a regular MTB shoe? Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Also I see that Performance has a Forte flat pedal at 260 gm for the pair and very inexpensive. Can anyone compare this to the MG-1?

mtbr member
    I like the Specialized Lo Pro Mag, and also the Shimano MX30. I run both on my bikes. I believe the Shimano's are a bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appgap
    Not familiar with a 5.1 shoe. Who is it made by and what makes it diffrent from a regular MTB shoe? Thanks
    5.10 (or Five Ten) is a shoe manufacturer. However when most people refer to 5.10 they are referring to a shoe they make called Impact 2. Many people here (including myself) regard them as one of the best shoes for platform pedals because they are extremely grippy.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I like the Azonic Accelerator Pedals...I ride them wih the 5.10's too. Great combination.

Hope you heal fast. Good luck.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_B
    Are you all referring to the Wellgo MG-1 or the Weyless MG-1?
    I'm also on the lookout for new flat pedals, as mine has taken way to many hits and has started a knocking sound.
    We're talking about the wellgo's

mtbr member
    May 2008

thx

Thanks K(er. It's been interesting. Broke my pelvis in 2 places and a bunch of ribs. Thought of being clipped in just not appealing right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    my Wellgo magnesiums are nice, just make sure to find a pair of shoes that grip well. I was trying a couple different pairs shoes and tried a lighter pair of NewBalance walking shoes i have the other day. mixed with a slightly sandy trail and 2ft drop = 4mean holes in my shin with a sweet bruise. Now looking for knee/shin pads...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wellgo MG-1: http://www.ebikestop.com/wellgo_mg_1...916-PD1022.php

VS.

Dimension Pro Mountain: http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=PD1090

The MG-1 is 378g while the Pro Mountain is only 270g! Both have sealed bearings. I'm wondering if combining the Pro Mountain pedals with 5.10 shoes would yield 80% of the effect of the MG-1's grub screws. BTW, the Pro Mountain is $20 cheaper.

Any advice for a beginner rider that does mostly commuting and beginner trails?

narCOTIC
    DMR V12 Mag with Ti grubscrews and axels = less than 350g

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Do the pins on the wellgo pedals screw in??? Are they adjustable?

Are they "better" than the older style bmx type pedals with the aggressive teeth looking traction?

I am reluctant because I had a pair of pegs on my old dirtbike wiht these adjustable pins and my foot would slip off every now and then. The last time I contribute to a broken arm.
    2008 Cannondale F4
    Shimano XT brakes, ice tech rotors.

mtbr member
    Wellgo MG-1's...end thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I know it sounds strange but if you look on a trials bike website called tartybikes.co.uk, they do a set of pedals called Try-All Ti-Nesiums. I have never tried them personaly because of the price but I have heard that they are very good. They weigh 300g, hey have a magnesium 1-piece body and titanium axles so they are very strong.

mtbr member
    Wellgo MG-1's have a Ti axle option.